Vitamin D Can Help If You Get Covid

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Happened to see this.  Seems that Vit D can help prevent Covid from getting worse once you have it.  I already take 10,000 IU a day.  Vit D has many benefits and a majority of people don't have enough.

4. Conclusions

The current evidence supports the benefits of vitamin D interventions in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 due to the protective effect provided by vitamin D against ICU admission and mortality. A meta-analysis per se does not allow us to state whether the results are truly positive or false-positive. In addition, the inclusion of studies with large effect sizes and significant heterogeneity separates us from the truth. For this reason, a TSA is mandatory to verify the reliability of meta-analysis results [92]. In conclusion, the positive results highlighted again and now validated by TSAs suggest that an indisputable association between vitamin D supplementation and the protective effect on ICU admission can be considered definitive evidence. On the contrary, further studies are needed to assess the utilization of vitamin D regarding the risk of death in patients hospitalized with COVID-19.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9864223/

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It should also be remembered that sunlight assists vitamin D intake; that's the reason that many women in stricter Islamic countries have deficiencies.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A meta-analysis per se does not allow us to state whether the results are truly positive or false-positive. In addition, the inclusion of studies with large effect sizes and significant heterogeneity separates us from the truth.

Sounds kind of like "we think so but we need more testing"?  I am no medical wize by any stretch of imagination.   But I would think that if initial studies show vitamin D helps keep people in the hospital from getting worse, it should also help prevent you from getting it in the first place?

<snip>Meta-analysis is a research process used to systematically synthesise or merge the findings of single, independent studies, using statistical methods to calculate an overall or 'absolute' effect.2 Meta-analysis does not simply pool data from smaller studies to achieve a larger sample size.<end snip>

<snip>heterogeneity - the quality or state of being diverse in character or content.
"the genetic heterogeneity of human populations"<end snip>

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Doctor Campbell has been singing this for years........

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It should also be remembered that sunlight assists vitamin D intake; that's the reason that many women in stricter Islamic countries have deficiencies.  

And many Filipinos hate the sun!  I think I read that surprisingly, many Asians in the tropics are deficient.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

it should also help prevent you from getting it in the first place?

Covid prevention doesn't seem to be the focus of the study, but logically if you already have high levels in your body, and get Covid, it should be milder.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We ran out of Vitamin D-3 which is purchased from Costco USA in bottles with 600 soft gel capsules of 125 mcg (5,000 IU) each.  The Watson pharmacist asked, "How many tablets?"  They are individually foil wrapped.   I assume this vitamin is not regularly taken as a supplement by seniors.  We each pop two a day on doctor's order.  The same for B-12.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We ran out of Vitamin D-3 which is purchased from Costco USA in bottles with 600 soft gel capsules of 125 mcg (5,000 IU) each.  The Watson pharmacist asked, "How many tablets?"  They are individually foil wrapped.   I assume this vitamin is not regularly taken as a supplement by seniors.  We each pop two a day on doctor's order.  The same for B-12.

This is what I am taking.  Free shipping with $49 in orders.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X4V8QMQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Vitamin D can be found in foods> Eggs, milk, yogurt, Cheese and fatty fish  and fish liver oil.

• Like 2