Filipino culture/behavior compared to other countries

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Joey G said:

Problem today is too many people don't get involved enough raising their own kids... they are too happy to get them a smart phone and let them access social media to "learn"

Acknowledging that social media is a problem means it does matter where you raise kids, Social media, news media, Hollywood and the entertainment industry, the educational system, these all are part of the problem with 'progressive' Western culture today. Culture influences children, and children influence each other as peers. So yes it's on the parents, to remove their children from this detrimental cultural environment,

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'll swim against the tide here - things have changed and parents have to accept that social media is how kids interact and if you keep your kid out of this loop they will be on the outside of their society. Schools even use it to communicate with their students. So, it's pretty much a necessity in today's world for kids.

That said, it's certainly our responsibility as parents to guide our kids on social media but unrealistic to not embrace it. IMO.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

if you keep your kid out of this loop they will be on the outside of their society.

Accurate, but keeping them outside of certain societies can be beneficial, this is why where you raise kids is so important.

14 hours ago, KC813 said:

"A Filipino can thrive anywhere in the world, except in the Philippines".

Anywhere in the English-speaking Western world...

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

iAnywhere in the English-speaking Western world...

Filipinos seem to thrive in the many countries from the Middle East to the non English speaking countries of the EU. I worked with Filipinos on ships that were owned and operated by many countries and the Filipino seafarer was always welcome. I agree with the statement that Flilipino workers can make it everywhere but the Philippines. I attribute that to the oligarchy that has controlled the Philippines since Spanish times. I had hopes that after the EDSA revolution and the decentralizing of the government, the establishment of LGUs would take the capital based government corruption away to an extent. Wrong, it just "democratized" corruption. The Filipino people know they can't advance themselves if they stay in the country unless they are lucky enough to have an ally in the government. The easy way out is become an OFW. The government depends on OFW money sent back to support the economy. It's a win for the government.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I too have worked with Filipinos in HK, Jordan, Saudi and couple other countries. When they are in an orderly work place, with well established rules and where the majority conform to the rules/policies and there are penalties for taking short cuts , they are fine. In a country like Philippines where everyone e wants to take a short cut, where people claim and play favourites, and where penalties vary according to your family name and stautus, and where simple selfish behaviour is viewed as the norm in both work and social life , then the bad qualities are more at the forefront.

Anyone having worked here , as I did for 5 years will know what I mean.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Greglm said:

Filipinos seem to thrive in the many countries from the Middle East

I wouldn't call servitude 'thriving',  that would be limited to the English speaking West which allows and even encourages immigration, investment, citizenship.

The Filipino people know they can't advance themselves if they stay in country

It's worse for foreigners here, no investment in land or business and no citizenship. 

The government depends on OFW money sent back to support the economy. It's a win for the government.

And a win for the populace. Every nation has elites in control, but there's a big difference between globalist elites and nationalist elites. I'd rather live under the nationalists, even if it's not my nation.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

It's worse for foreigners here, no investment in land or business and no citizenship.

There is a path to citizenship but it takes time (10 years, five if married to a Philippine citizen), becoming fluent in a major Philippine language,  a few other requirements, and working it through the court system.  Once a citizen you would be able to avail of citizen rights such as owning land, a business, etc.  That being said I expect you would almost certainly continue to be viewed a foreigner by the vast majority of people, agencies, etc.   

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

There is a path to citizenship

You'd think so reading the rules, but that path is closed in practice for most.