Corned Beef

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Your post has me wanting a corned beef on rye with a little dijon mustard. :thumbsup:

With sauerkraut and cheese too! A ruben... been a long time since I had one of those wonderful sandwiches...

I will have to research to find the brisket... Then....as a slow cooker - figure out how to season and age it. I do that with sauerbratten for Christmas dinner, but never a corned beef...

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Old55 said:

Brisket not available in Philippines? Fairly easy to season one yourself and throw in the slow cooker.

Are you telling me the beef here doesn't have a brisket cut? 

Brisket or any cut is available, go to the local meat market or in Cebu city you can even get imported brisket. 

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gator said:

A little close to St. Patty’s this year, but for next year if you find the brisket, spices and curing salt (pink #1 / not to be confused with the pink Himalayan salt) then you’re better off brining it, but it takes about 5 to max 7 days. Will have the same or very close to the same flavor as what we know from in USA. Plenty of recipes on the web for making it yourself. 

If you can't find what you need locally then Shopee has everything.  In the old days, they just used salt and not pink curing salt which is used to extend the life of the product. 

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you telling me the beef here doesn't have a brisket cut? 

Brisket or any cut is available, go to the local meat market or in Cebu city you can even get imported brisket. 

Haven't found it yet, but then, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. All the best cuts of beef appear to go to restaurants. Even the lesser cuts, like brisket, seem to not be available at the meat section of SM here in Davao...

So far, if I mention a cut of beef that is not displayed at the meat counter, I get the "deer in headlights" reaction.... no understanding...

But we may have some fresh goat meat soon since a neighbour has many wandering around the area... And they love to eat our ornamental plants... Personally, I like goat meat....!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Haven't found it yet, but then, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. All the best cuts of beef appear to go to restaurants. Even the lesser cuts, like brisket, seem to not be available at the meat section of SM here in Davao...

So far, if I mention a cut of beef that is not displayed at the meat counter, I get the "deer in headlights" reaction.... no understanding...

But we may have some fresh goat meat soon since a neighbour has many wandering around the area... And they love to eat our ornamental plants... Personally, I like goat meat....!

Corned goat for St Patricks day that be very wrong Tommy.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Corned goat for St Patricks day that be very wrong Tommy.

Why? Could not corn it anyway... not enough time and I don't have the ingredients...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Why?

What should I have for dinner on St Patrick's Day?
30+ Lucky St. Patrick's Day Recipes
  • Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage.
  • Irish Colcannon Mac and Cheese.
  • Irish Bangers and Mash.
  • Irish Soda Bread.
  • Irish Pork Stew With Stout And Caraway Seeds.
  • Easy Rustic Shepherd's Pie with the Cheesiest Mashed Potatoes.
  • Irish Potato Pie.
  • My Favorite Reuben Sandwich.  No Goat! :tiphat:
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

What should I have for dinner on St Patrick's Day?
30+ Lucky St. Patrick's Day Recipes
  • Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage.
  • Irish Colcannon Mac and Cheese.
  • Irish Bangers and Mash.
  • Irish Soda Bread.
  • Irish Pork Stew With Stout And Caraway Seeds.
  • Easy Rustic Shepherd's Pie with the Cheesiest Mashed Potatoes.
  • Irish Potato Pie.
  • My Favorite Reuben Sandwich.  No Goat! :tiphat:

I always wondered why the Irish celebrate a Welshman.  :whistling:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I always wondered why the Irish celebrate a Welshman.  :whistling:

That would depend on which source you look at - I was quickly able to find a link saying he was born in what is now Scotland!  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, Tommy T. said:

no, generally you won't find big meat cuts at a supermarket but surely they have a meat market somewhere there. You know like Carbon market in Cebu.