Best car or SUV for Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, jimeve said:

Small hatch-back for the wife with a decent ground clearance. as we live in the jungle. There's a new Suzuki S presso. Interested in your thoughts on this budget car.

It was on our list as it's reasonably priced.  I haven't seen all that many around.  It does look a little basic which isn't necessarily an issue given the price. We probably won't go for it, I prefer the Swift or a Wigo or maybe a Mirage. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, BLM said:

uzuki says it has an auto version soon, but that would take away sales of the Celerio.

I strongly doubt there will be an auto version, they might release an AMT version (that's what they use instead of autos in most of their small cars).

NB...  not a fan of AMTs for city use.

• Like 1

softail
Posted
Posted

I bought a Toyota Vios from my wife’s nephew. He was a fanatic about maintenance as he has a business repairing and maintaining cars. It is a really popular car with the locals and we just love it. Is a great car on maintained roads around town and road trips.

• Like 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, softail said:

I bought a Toyota Vios

That's my current default for our return.  We likely won't need high ground clearance or 4WD.  It's inconspicuous.  Plentiful parts and service.  Maybe a white one, so if I really need to go undercover I can set it up to look like a taxi.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

It was on our list as it's reasonably priced.  I haven't seen all that many around.  It does look a little basic which isn't necessarily an issue given the price. We probably won't go for it, I prefer the Swift or a Wigo or maybe a Mirage. 

Ground clearance is the main factor, those you quoted not enough clearance for the rugged dirt road we have to drive on.

Edit. Toyota Wigo has the same GL as the S-presso 180 mm.

Cars with best ground clearance in the Philippines

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Ground clearance is the main factor, those you quoted not enough clearance for the rugged dirt road we have to drive on.

Understood,  Where we are we pretty much it's all made up roads and no dirt tracks.  Even the family place is accessible save for the final 20' so not really an issue.  

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

The Vios taxis have trouble getting in and out of our subdivision because of the speed bumps, they grind going over where as the Wigo has no trouble FYI.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The Vios taxis have trouble getting in and out of our subdivision because of the speed bumps, they grind going over where as the Wigo has no trouble FYI.

Extra ground clearance is a big plus in Philippines. 

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

Had 2 swifts, automatics, never regretted it, great little city cars.

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Had a peep at the new Raize recently, impressive little car.

• Like 3