Best car or SUV for Philippines

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here in the province they use recap tire tread from trucks.   They tend to shift around during the day and can be dangerous when hit at an angle.  Especially dangerous for scooters having the smaller tires, even worse when wet.

Around Ozamis, where the family home is they use use truck tread or what I find even worse lines of very large thick rope (ex marine rope maybe?), both of which get moved around over time and a difficult for scooters as you say.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gator said:

I believe they’re called “speed tables”.  When properly installed (and depending on their design / length) they’re supposed to allow vehicles to transit them at a higher speed (40 to 70kph). Most of the ones I’ve seen here have too steep of an approach angle to allow even a 40kph transit speed. And most also have very wide glossy yellow or white stripes painted on them, so yeah, very slippery when wet - even for pedestrians. 

Pretty much as you've described but certainly not a good idea to hit them at 40kph.  My son and I were walking last night along the main road and, as has been the case for a few weeks now, there were no lights and as the paint had all but worn off and the speed tables were very hard to see and were more of a hazard than anything else for drivers.  

• Like 1

BLM
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I had to Google.  What is the difference.  Here is the CVT for Dummies in 2 minutes video.

That's what ours has but the new Celerio has a newer style auto transmission, like an automatic clutch on a manual trans. I prefer the CVT as we only have 60 hp, it's good to stay in the power range.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BLM said:

That's what ours has but the new Celerio has a newer style auto transmission, like an automatic clutch on a manual trans.

Yes the version in the new Celerio is an automated manual transmission (AMT) basically a computer shifted manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch system.

They have a reputation for for being somewhat jerky in stop start city traffic.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Yes the version in the new Celerio is an automated manual transmission (AMT) basically a computer shifted manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch system.

They have a reputation for for being somewhat jerky in stop start city traffic.

And one more high priced proprietary computer module to break. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Gator
Posted
Posted

Just bought a very clean and well taken care of 2019 Trailblazer Z71 with 22k km's on it. To recap: I was looking for a late model, low mileage vehicle with 4wd. A 4x4 was a must for me as I enjoy off roading plus the wife's family live in a mountainous area that is barely accessible to anything without 4wd; especially in the rainy season. Although I could go a bit higher, my budget was 1M pesos. Initially I considered the Fortuner, but I didn't like the design of the rear most seats - they fold up against the side windows; so when folded up they not only create a blind spot, but greatly decrease the capacity of the cargo area. I also considered and looked at a few Monteros. Was hard to find any 4x4 models in my price range that didn't have high mileage. After a bit of research I discovered the Ford diesels are not the most reliable, so I ruled them out. 

@On My Way's post about his 2014 Trailblazer got me thinking. After some conversations with Don, and a bit of research, I included the Trailblazer in my search and came across the one I bought. I did go a to few dealers in and around Angeles and San Fernando. Based on my experiences in the USA, used and new car dealers are in the same boat with lawyers and dentists - I dread going to any of them, lol. But I have to say, with one exception, all the dealers I visited the sales staff were pleasant, not pushy and knowledgeable about the vehicles. Not what I was expecting. The one exception I mentioned was a "Dirt lot Dan" type place - very pushy and rude. 

The dealer I bought from was more than accommodating (not sure if I can mention the name here, but anyone can PM me for it). I asked about flood and accident history, of course the dealer said there was none. Even so, I climbed under the vehicle with a flashlight and thoroughly searched inside the engine compartment as well. I asked if I could remove a door panel and got a very puzzled look, but they pulled the bottom of the driver's side panel off enough for me to look inside - no signs of flooding. They also provided the service records, owner's manuals and original invoice for me to inspect. The only thing I found a bit odd - no test drive unless a deposit was given for them to hold. If after the test drive I didn't like the vehicle it would be given back to me. I guess it's their way of weeding out the tire kickers. I complied and took it for a test ride (one of the lot attendants was sent with me).

When I got back it "office time". I figured now would the time they'd try to fleece me with extra charges and who knows what. I made an offer, he countered saying it was his "final price". His final price was in line with what I had hoped for, but I did counter with a slightly lower price and he said sorry, but his final price was the best he could do. I asked if there any extra charges - "no po, final price is the final price". Unlike in the USA, there were no dealer "add on's" or prep charges, no attempts to sell any aftermarket items nor any attempts to sell any extended warranties or service contracts (they apparently don't offer them here, at least not at any of the dealers I asked). The only extra fee was if I wanted them to do the transfer of ownership at the LTO; 10k and I said yes. Perhaps a bit on the high side, but worth it to me. As a side note, I put the Trailblazer in the wife's name only. They only required her to send them copies of 2 ID's (front and back) with 3 signatures over her printed name on it (she wasn't with me). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

The only extra fee was if I wanted them to do the transfer of ownership at the LTO; 10k and I said yes. Perhaps a bit on the high side, but worth it to me.

Well worth it!

Enjoy the torque!  I live on a hill and the passing power is huge and enjoyable!  At the old SM Olongapo parking structure, the entrance is a steep straight hill, and my kids enjoy me flooring it up the hill!  Lays everybody back in the seats!

• Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 4/7/2023 at 6:50 AM, Gator said:

The only extra fee was if I wanted them to do the transfer of ownership at the LTO; 10k and I said yes. Perhaps a bit on the high side, but worth it to me. As a side note, I put the Trailblazer in the wife's name only. They only required her to send them copies of 2 ID's (front and back) with 3 signatures over her printed name on it (she wasn't with me). 

Trust me a great decision, we have recently gone through the experience of changing over the papers.......Great deal.

• Thanks 1