Extreme heat this summer, are you prepared?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Going back through historical data it's not unseasonally hot where we are, I think it's more the shock of coming out of such an unusually mild November - February.

I personally don't feel it's any warmer than the it was last year.  The biggest issue here is the hot sunny days then it coming over cloudy around sunset trapping in all the heat.  During the day we actually get a really nice sea breeze a lot of the time, so that helps but at night it's just still and hot.  We haven't resorted to AC yet, fans have been fine, but a couple of more degrees C and it'll come on. 

As for the water, talking to the Minister for Finance and War (wife) she said they've never had an issue here in Guihulgnan when similar dire warnings have been issued in the past.  No issues due to "drought" anyway, just the usual supply issues at any time of the year due to poor local infrastructure.  They're actually working on that right now so fingers crossed.  We have our eye on a dual tank and pressure system fed by both rainwater and mains (valve switch) that'll probably be reality in our house soonish.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Going back through historical data it's not unseasonally hot where we are, I think it's more the shock of coming out of such an unusually mild November - February.

I personally don't feel it's any warmer than the it was last year.  The biggest issue here is the hot sunny days then it coming over cloudy around sunset trapping in all the heat.  During the day we actually get a really nice sea breeze a lot of the time, so that helps but at night it's just still and hot.  We haven't resorted to AC yet, fans have been fine, but a couple of more degrees C and it'll come on. 

As for the water, talking to the Minister for Finance and War (wife) she said they've never had an issue here in Guihulgnan when similar dire warnings have been issued in the past.  No issues due to "drought" anyway, just the usual supply issues at any time of the year due to poor local infrastructure.  They're actually working on that right now so fingers crossed.  We have our eye on a dual tank and pressure system fed by both rainwater and mains (valve switch) that'll probably be reality in our house soonish.  

Our A/C is on all year around - evening time only though.  The room where I work has an a/c but I never use it, fan and window open only.  During the months of Dec-Feb the a/c is on but pretty much running on fan only - we set our a/c at 27.  My son insists we still keep it on even though it's not really cost effective compared to a simple fan. I find it strange that locals who are surely used to higher temperatures set their a/c so low compared to us i.e. 20-23 degrees it seems.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

We have our eye on a dual tank and pressure system fed by both rainwater and mains (valve switch) that'll probably be reality in our house soonish.  

When we built our house we were tired of the intermittent water supply in the houses we rented. So we put in two storage tanks inside one levated and a rain water tank. Both the storage tanks are 1000l and the rain water tank is 500l. Wish we had put in a 1000l rain water tank. We get a lot of water from the roof and with the simple flushing system the water is clear.

• Like 5

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Only a month ago, Bangkok had "Asian sub-zero" temp, less than 20 degrees before noon. I used jeans even indoors. :hystery:

Today for example 35 degrees celsius, feels like 42(!)🌡 degrees, and friends stay home. Streets are quieter than normal.

Screenshot_20230331-145155_Weather.jpg

I only use aircon when sleep, but last 2 weeks a/c was on as soon I entered the condo. Luckily electric rates here in Thailand are less than half (quarter) of the Philippines. Last month I paid less than 4 Peso per unit, due to the cold spell and little a/c use.

LUCKY are you guys who have a house and land, and can add on unlimited water barrels / tanks of some sort. Those in condos / apartments, usually can only find space for a small 50 Ltr. barrel, if any at all. Let's hope the forecast is just a scare.

Edit: a newly arrived expat put his aircon on 20 degrees celsius, and his bill was nearly 8,000 Peso. Now he moan why why .....

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 2