OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This might help, 

https://howelumber.com/dimensional-lumber

or

about 1.5″ x 3.5″
The true measurement of a 2x4 is actually about 1.5″ x 3.5″. When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 2x4, but the drying process and planning of the board reduce it to the finished 1.5″ x 3.5″ size. The lumber is then sold as a “2x4” because the cost of the drying and machining are figured in.

This does not explain Dave's undersized problem.

• Haha 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This might help, 

https://howelumber.com/dimensional-lumber

or

about 1.5″ x 3.5″
The true measurement of a 2x4 is actually about 1.5″ x 3.5″. When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 2x4, but the drying process and planning of the board reduce it to the finished 1.5″ x 3.5″ size. The lumber is then sold as a “2x4” because the cost of the drying and machining are figured in.

That explains it!

Shame on me thinking they were a bit weird here in the Philippines.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I had an experience with rebar.  I wanted 12mm but they obviously didn't have it as they supplied 10mm (or maybe 11mm, I don't recall) and stated the supplied size on the receipt and charged the correct price. When the rebar was delivered the contractor complained repeatedly that it was undersized - undersized, undersized was all I heard for the rest of the day - it didn't matter either way for the job being done.  I tried telling him it was not undersized, it was exactly what it said it was and I was charged accordingly.  

The same contractor had a terrible habit of saying inches when he meant centimetres and vice versa - I was partly responsible for this as I am a traditionalist and tend to work in inches and he tried to work the same.   

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

triple post

Edited by Guy F.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

nm

Edited by Guy F.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I stopped buying clothes in the Philippines.  To get large, you need to buy extra-large.  Then they shrink after the first wash.  That's assuming you can find clothes if you are big and tall.  

I have no complaints about clothing bought in the Philippines, other than sizing. It seems to me that "made in USA" clothing is easier to find in the Phils department stores than in the US. Ukay ukay stores have been sources for some great finds. Found a tee shirt from the US Border Patrol which any hipster would be proud of. Found another tee shirt with Bobby Hill (from the TV show King of the Hill) being offered $300 to break up with Connie, which is one of my faves.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have my wife keep an eye out in the ukay ukay shops.

The source for ukay ukay merchandise is very interesting.  Major suppliers include Goodwill and Salvation Army stores where the public can bid on large quantity donated items.  This is after volunteers and employees have sorted through the donation bags keeping the best items for the store.  There are auction dates posted at warehouse entrances.  I assume the Filipinos pack them in balikbayan boxes for shipment.  Popular among the Filipino buyers are winter clothes.  The market are OFWs destined for colder climates. 

Another source is returned merchandise from large companies like Walmart and Target.  Too expensive, labor wise to re-box.  Professional sports have to print their "World Champion" or "Conference Champion" t-shirts ahead of time not knowing whether the team will win or lose.  These t-shirts are donated to poor villagers in Africa on the theory that they won't know anything about American football or basketball.  It's cheaper to dump them in a landfill, but that's bad public relations.

P_X
Posted
Posted
On 4/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, JJReyes said:

I stopped buying clothes in the Philippines.  To get large, you need to buy extra-large.  Then they shrink after the first wash.  That's assuming you can find clothes if you are big and tall.  

My puppy has chewed holes in all but 2 of my shirts.  I traveled light and only had 7 . I assumed I would just buy some more when I arrived.  However.  I can't for the life of me,  find shirts that fit. I bought a couple that I thought might fit. They sorta did..although I looked like a stuffed sausage..but after washing..they're even smaller.  Hehe

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, P_X said:

However.  I can't for the life of me,  find shirts that fit. I bought a couple that I thought might fit. They sorta did..although I looked like a stuffed sausage..but after washing..they're even smaller.  Hehe

My wife purchased collared shirts at Marks & Spencer stores in Greenbelt and Glorietta.  They were okay until the first wash after returning to California.  Could it be our using hot water?

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife purchased collared shirts at Marks & Spencer stores in Greenbelt and Glorietta.  They were okay until the first wash after returning to California.  Could it be our using hot water?

Hot water, yes to a certain degree, but hot air dryers cause the most shrinkage. Especially if the material is 100% cotton.