Finding Filipinos

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Also known as the Filipino diaspora, they are all over the world including such places as the Faroe Islands in Denmark.  I met a couple of Filipina nurses in a remote community hospital in Montana and a Filipino teacher at the Navajo Nation Indian Reservation.  The largest concentration on a country basis include:

USA - 4,200,000

Saudi Arabia - 900,000

Canada - 700,000

UAE - 600,000

Australia - 300,000

Japan - 250,000

United Kingdom - 200,000

On a per state basis, the US 2020 Census estimate is:

California - 1.5 million

Hawaii - 359,000

Texas - 200,000

Illinois - 147,000

New York - 150,000

New Jersey - 130,000

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

USA - 4,200,000

Those are American citizens

5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Saudi Arabia - 900,000

Not Saudi citizens :laugh:

Also:

Cruise ship workers - 375,000

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Not Saudi citizens

I don't see anywhere in the topic which says, citizens or OFW or those on vacation. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Met a very nice Filipina while on vacation in Aruba many years ago.   She worked at the small oceanside hotel where we stayed.  Her husband also lived in Aruba, but did not meet him as he worked elsewhere on the island.

Gas
Posted
Posted

The high concentration of Filipinos in the USA might have something to do with the ease that immediate family members of citizens can apply for visas? 

When i first moved here 26 years ago the family across the street from our shop had two family members in the USA. Over the years a total of 72 members of that family have now immigrated to the US.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I don't see anywhere in the topic which says, citizens or OFW or those on vacation. 

See the title, it says Filipinos, not Americans.

Also the first sentence says "Filipino diaspora" which refers to Filipinos who left the Philippines and are in foreign nations.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

The census estimate in the United States counts persons in-country who are non-visitors.  This would include temporary visa workers, permanent residents, students, retirees and citizens of Filipino ancestry (1st generation).  I would be counted, but my children won't because they were born in the United States and are therefore natural born citizens.  My guess is 180+ days as the cut-off because after 180+ days your world-wide in taxable by the US Internal Revenue Service.  

Saudi Arabia does not permit immigration.  The possible exception might be those who are married to a citizen.  The count is temporary visa workers like school teachers, nurses, construction workers and hospitality industry personnel.  The expectation is you will depart at the end of your contract.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

The census estimate in the United States counts persons in-country who are non-visitors.  This would include temporary visa workers, permanent residents, students, retirees and citizens of Filipino ancestry (1st generation).  I would be counted, but my children won't because they were born in the United States and are therefore natural born citizens.  My guess is 180+ days as the cut-off because after 180+ days your world-wide in taxable by the US Internal Revenue Service.  

Saudi Arabia does not permit immigration.  The possible exception might be those who are married to a citizen.  The count is temporary visa workers like school teachers, nurses, construction workers and hospitality industry personnel.  The expectation is you will depart at the end of your contract.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gas said:

The high concentration of Filipinos in the USA might have something to do with the ease that immediate family members of citizens can apply for visas? 

When i first moved here 26 years ago the family across the street from our shop had two family members in the USA. Over the years a total of 72 members of that family have now immigrated to the US.

The United States has a "family reunification" policy using a preference or priority system as to who can come in.  I believe the first preference are spouses and children, and the second preference are immediate family members.  Like most industrialized countries, the US has a rapidly aging population, currently 10,000 Americans are retiring every single day.  What sustains the economy are both documented and undocumented immigrants.  This has been going on since the 1800s since an expanding economy constantly needs new workers.  By comparison, China is on the decline as their population ages.  The One Child policy was a disaster.  Now, young women are reluctant to have one, two or three children even with government incentives.  

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

By comparison, China is on the decline as their population ages.

I have a feeling China will be in the lead well after everyone on this forum is dust.... but hey... someone also built the pyramids.... guessing it wasn't just Egyptians :hystery:

Hope jokes are still allowed :6:

• Like 2