Holy Week Drownings

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The PNP (Philippine National Police) reported that there were 72 drownings during Holy Week.  You would think that a nation with many islands would their children how to swim and remind adults not to swim if you have been drinking.  By the way, are all expats up to date on water safety, including the early warning signs for a tsunami?

• Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Sad, but I'm not surprised.  Still, I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people that can't swim given it's an island nation, before I met her my wife was one of them.  I have her up to a standard now where she can easily save herself and swim about 50m.  I was a nipper (junior lifesaver) and then surf lifesaver as a kid.  The number would be similar or worse in Australia if it wasn't for Surf Life Saving Association of Australia who patrols popular beaches and waterways on weekends and holidays on a voluntary basis, and council lifeguards who are paid during the week.  Maybe one day the movement will spread further than it is already in PI.  All that doesn't stop people getting into trouble in the water through lack of knowledge or idiocy on their own part but it does mean there's someone to help and in a worst case scenario hopefully revive them.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I wonder how many fatalities were on the roads?

Personally I treat Easter and Christmas the same, stock up on everything a week before and then remain bunkered down until all the craziness is over.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

there were 72 drownings during Holy Week.

Baptisms gone wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people that can't swim given it's an island nation, before I met her my wife was one of them.  I have her up to a standard now where she can easily save herself and swim about 50m.

Taught mine, too.  Her adult sister still can't swim, but the sister enrolled her young son in swimming lessons and the little guy's a happy swimmer now -- he's Mommy's lifeguard!

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

the early warning signs for a tsunami?

My wife still wakes up for earthquakes.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Baptisms gone wrong?

John was not amused.:56da64b375223_36_1_581:

• Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Two drownings of kids but the parents blame someone else. Apparently, a big deep hole is dug on vacant land for a septic system to be installed. Kids' kites got tangled up so decided to swim in the hole instead. 

But drowned in the muddy water and the parents said it was the land owners fault. In some ways yes but did the kids have permission to trespass, no. 

Later the site was cordoned off but still would not stop anyone from falling it do you have any business being there, NO

CEBU CITY, Philippines—Two boys aged 6 and 7 years old died after they reportedly fell into an excavation that was intended for use as a septic tank in Purok Sayaw, Sitio Laray, Barangay San Roque in Talisay City.

The incident happened at about 11:30 a.m. on Easter Sunday, April 9, 2023, but  was reported to the police by the boys’ aunt at 4:40 p.m. of the same day, according to PCPL Clifford Lerio of the Talisay

Lerio said the kids were brought to the nearest hospital but were declared dead on arrival.

In the latest update, Police said they have yet to identify the owner of the lot where the excavation was. 

The mother of the two kids said she is looking to press charges against the owner of the lot and those in charge of digging the hole for the septic tank once identified. 

Talisay City is located around 11 kilometers south of Cebu City.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/498073/two-kids-die-after-falling-into-pit-for-septic-tank-in-talisay#ixzz7ybvLUdZI

Maybe a better explanation of what happened. 

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/498126/mother-of-2-kids-who-drowned-in-hole-to-press-charges

• Sad 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

After viewing the pictures I could see how the property owner and the excavators could be held at least partially accountable in this tragic case. A fence may have prevented those children's death.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The kids did not have permission and should not have been there.  But they are kids and kids do dumb stuff, I know I did.  Most likely to be resolved out of court as the plaintiffs would prevail under the 'Attractive nuisance doctrine' if the case should ever go court.    Not an attorney so my opinions of course.

<snip>

Considering  the   vulnerability   of  children,   the   Philippines has  adhered   to   the doctrine of attractive nuisance.In this regard, Philippine law defines a “nuisance” as anyact, omission, establishment, business, condition of property, or anything else which: (a)injures or endangers the health or safety of others; (b) annoys or offends the senses; (c)shocks, defies, or disregards decency or morality; (d) obstructs or interferes with the free passage of any public highway or street, or any body of water; or (e) hinders or impairs the use of property

<end snip>

source doc

https://www.studocu.com/ph/document/lyceum-northwestern-university/bs-accountancy/case-digest-1-res-ipso-liquitur/9968314

• Like 4