Holy Week Drownings

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Basic workplace health and safety to have the area cordoned off properly, regardless if the hole was in a private residence or other location; it was still a work site.  You have to account for the lowest common denominator, which is in this case was tragically, kids.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Basic workplace health and safety to have the area cordoned off properly, regardless if the hole was in a private residence or other location; it was still a work site.  You have to account for the lowest common denominator, which is in this case was tragically, kids.  

Brett? Are you with us or your mind is in another country? What is basic workplace health and safety here? more or less nonexistent except for big construction sites owned by big companies. The rest are flip-flops and hope for the best.  

In this case a rural lot with a hole that no one is meant to stick their toes into. Next in your view, every coconut tree on private land should have a device to catch falling nuts so in the event of people who should not be there playing under a tree won't get hurt. 

Just trying to be realistic and remember where we are at the same time. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Oh I know.  The laws are there though, I just visited a fantasy land where they're actually enforced.

lol, yes but to be practical, and in this case, from the photos, it's a rural area, and a possibility the hole has been there for months. Could have been hand dug. Who knows.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I suppose there are wrongs on both sides here, and ultimately kids have lost their lives which is the main point.  Being pragmatic and putting the law aside, if the risk is obvious to anyone and everyone I'm not so sure extreme measure need to be taken to warn and protect others but if it's less obvious (I'm thinking live wires, unstable structures etc) then measures should be taken.  Maybe in this case, the risk is obvious and the hole was off-limits to the public so the bulk of the responsibility doesn't lie with the landowner IMO.  

I know the law doesn't agree with me but being pragmatic...