Photography in them there hills

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering is it safe wondering into the hills and mountains to do some photography alone or with your partner , snakes , spiders and other creatures that may cause you harm or even kill you , having the freedom to roam anywhere in safety here in the UK and not having to worry about the wildlife that you may stumble upon that could kill you , unless it’s a big bull in a field here is ok , so is it a case you do not not go of the paths just incase .

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Just wondering is it safe wondering into the hills and mountains to do some photography alone or with your partner , snakes , spiders and other creatures that may cause you harm or even kill you , having the freedom to roam anywhere in safety here in the UK and not having to worry about the wildlife that you may stumble upon that could kill you , unless it’s a big bull in a field here is ok , so is it a case you do not not go of the paths just incase .

I don't know, case by case I guess.  They have water buffalo here and I believe water buffaloes are dangerous but maybe the local carabao are different.

Viking
Posted
Posted

I have sometimes walked alone in the bush but I actually don't think it's a great idea. There is always a risk that one would step on a snake and some of the species here are very venomous. Calling for an ambulance would probably be useless if being out in the wilderness and antivenom is often not available.

I think it is wise to bring a friend or partner with you if you hike in the woods or in another isolated area.

We tend to think that the animals are the most dangerous things but pretty often other (bad) people is a bigger threat to us we are alone, not to mention bad luck. What if we break a leg??

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Viking is right.  The buddy system is best whether you are going for a swim or a long walk.  If you are in an unfamiliar area, hire a local guide.  If you sprain or break a leg, the guide knows how to contact nearby residents to assist.  I recall warnings about brown snakes in Guam during my younger, adventurous years.  Never saw one in the bush.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just wondering is it safe wondering into the hills and mountains to do some photography alone or with your partner , snakes , spiders and other creatures that may cause you harm or even kill you

Due to the geography - thousands of little islands - deadly creatures, like large animals, are extremely rare.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

snakes

Yep.  Look down from time to time.  If you have your head in the clouds you might step on a cobra in some rural areas.  Dead in 60 minutes.

P_X
Posted
Posted

Go for it

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve, there are a number of Filipino photo clubs in Philippines. They have activities and photo contests. Do some checking around and find one near the location you and Em's will be visiting. 

If you can't find one PM me I'll ask around. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Gas said:

I run 3 or 4 times a week on the road and jungle tracks and the biggest threat I come across is scabby dogs! 

Where is that exactly?

I know some Filipinos who hike in some of the Zambales hills.  Some very nice spots and views up there!  They usually go in groups.  A lot of expats go for hikes in the mountains outside of Angeles, but more often they are going 4 wheeling, I think.  There are quite a few tour operators for going up the canyons to Mt. Pinatubo.  Not exactly what Steve is looking for, but some excellent photography opportunities up there.

My Filipino friend has a group of friends that ride their dirt bikes at a lot of spots in Luzon.  They went to this one a few weeks ago.  I think you need a dirt bike or 4WD to get there.  "New Zealand of the Philippines".

• Like 3