Corn Grits

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Ok Americans, from my years living in the US I remember grits being a flavoursome, tasty dish.  Here all that's done is they boil it until it's just short of soggy.  Do any of you have any recipes that can be made from locally sourced ingredients that don't taste like soggy cardboard?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've seen Bob's Red Mill organic products several places in Cebu City there is a small chance they would stock grits. I only bought almond flower and oatmeal. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

locally sourced ingredients

Next time you are in Dumaguete try YAN YAN, They carry all sorts of odd things :tiphat:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I've seen Bob's Red Mill organic products several places in Cebu City there is a small chance they would stock grits. I only bought almond flower and oatmeal. 

The grits aren't a problem, just after a recipe to do something with them.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

just after a recipe to do something with them.

Try this page****https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Veggie-n-Grits-2656124

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

Grits are a regional thing in the US. Being a Yankee (northerner) I had never had them until I joined the military. But I was exposed to them on television:

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, baronapart said:

Grits are a regional thing in the US. Being a Yankee (northerner) I had never had them until I joined the military. But I was exposed to them on television:

Yeah, I spent a lot of time in the South when I was posted to the US in the navy, that's where I acquired the taste.  Was dating a USAF girl from Georgia at the time

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

Joey G
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Bob's Red Mill organic products

EVERYTHING they make is top notch.... to find it the Philippines is almost amazing to me.

Recipes.... straight from Bob's Red Mill

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/basic-recipe-for-quick-grits/
Quick Grits
Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium pot. Add corn grits and reduce heat. Cook slowly for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1–2 minutes.
Creamy Grits
Make as directed in main recipe, using 2 cups water and 2 cups milk, cook for 30 minutes.
Cheesy Grits
Make as directed in main recipe, cook for 30 minutes, stirring in 1 cup shredded cheddar before serving.
Parmesan Grits
Make as directed in main recipe, cook for 30 minutes, stirring in 1 cup shredded parmesan before serving.
Fried Grits
Transfer Parmesan Grits to a plastic-lined 8 x 8-inch pan and chill at least 2 hours or overnight. To fry, unmold polenta and cut into 12–16 rectangles. Heat oil, ½-inch deep, to 350°F. Working in batches, fry polenta until golden, about 3–5 minutes per side. Remove from oil using a slotted spatula or spoon and let drain on paper towels. If necessary, keep warm in a 200°F oven. Serve with tomato sauce or your favorite toppings.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Joey G said:

EVERYTHING they make is top notch.... to find it the Philippines is almost amazing to me.

Royal Duty Free here in Subic Bay always has a lot of Bob's products.  I noticed them on Amazon and iHerb too but not sure if free shipping is available.