Corn Grits

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Ok Americans, from my years living in the US I remember grits being a flavoursome, tasty dish.  Here all that's done is they boil it until it's just short of soggy.  Do any of you have any recipes that can be made from locally sourced ingredients that don't taste like soggy cardboard?

Grits !  One of those foods that bring back many fond childhood memories for me! Grits, or as my grandmother called them Sofkee (she was Native American), was a staple for us when I was growing up.

It almost sounds like what you had in the US was real homemade grits that were cooked "low and slow" and not the boxed instant "diner" or quick type ...... no flavor and usually masked with a pat of butter (or worse: margarine) on top when served; which is often how ppl not from the South are introduced to grits and therefore find them tasteless and don't like them. 

How you cook it and the resulting flavor does matter! You can think of grits almost in the same way as mashed potatoes: either as a tasty side dish to compliment a meal, an under layer to support a meal or as the star of the show. 

Cooking basic grits: First the type of grind. Personally I prefer a coarser grind or at least a medium grind of whole corn. Hominy grits, which is the just the kernel of the corn is also good, but tends to be a bit sweeter and less "corn" flavored. 

For coarsely ground grits I was taught to use a 5 to 1 ratio of water to grits. That ensures the larger bits will be fully cooked. It may take a little longer, but it's worth it.

Ingredients (yield = about 2 servings):

1/2 cup coarsely ground grits (Brett, at your local market you'll likely find it and if it's locally sourced it'll also likely be Visayan White Corn, but also could be Japanese Yellow. Both are great, but the yellow tends to be just a bit sweeter. If ground from the whole grain check to be sure it hasn't gone rancid (smell it). Unprocessed and freshly ground cornmeal only has a shelf life of about a month or so before the natural oil in it starts to turn. Once you buy it, store it in the ref or even the freezer).

1 heaping teaspoon of course salt (aka Kosher salt)

2 tablespoons of butter

Directions:

Start by first thoroughly rinsing the grits in a fine mesh strainer and allow them to drain well. That helps to remove any impurities and dust from the mill. If you buy store bought commercially bagged cornmeal from a reputable brand, like "Bob's", "Arrowhead" or "Goya" you can probably skip this step (I usually don't).

In a larger covered pot or saucepan combine the water and salt and bring to a rolling boil. While whisking, slowly add the grits. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Thoroughly whisk the cornmeal about every 3 to 5 minutes to prevent lumps; be sure to scrape the bottom to prevent any from sticking. Keep the pot covered when not whisking to prevent a "skin" from forming and to prevent any of the cornmeal from "popping" out any scalding hot bits.

Cooking time:

About 30 minutes: A bit runny with some "gritty" bits remaining

About 45 minutes: Creamy and thick

About 1 hour: Stiff and able to hold its shape

Whisk in the butter until melted and add more salt if desired or needed.

If they become too stiff, whisk in a tablespoon or two of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency. If fully cooked, but still too loose and runny for your taste, remove the lid and cook uncovered to let the water evaporate. 

That's grandma's basic recipe for real and flavorful "stand alone" grits.

You can of course add things like milk (1/2 milk and 1/2 water), more butter on top once served, cheese, etc. Or make them on the stiff side, put a portion on the center of the plate and top with things like shrimp cooked in your favorite sauce (I have a great recipe for shrimp and grits, but grandma might roll over in her grave if I share it, lol), shredded chicken with gravy or you can add cheese and then bake the grits too.

Lots of options and mainly depends on what you prefer once you've mastered the basic recipe.

Edited by Gator
  • Love it 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Gator said:

t almost sounds like what you had in the US was real homemade grits that were cooked "low and slow" and not the boxed instant "diner" or quick type ...... no flavor and usually masked with a pat of butter (or worse: margarine) on top when served; which is often how ppl not from the South are introduced to grits and therefore find them tasteless and don't like them. 

Exactly, cooked from scratch.  I wasn't even aware of the instant type until much later, and much like microwave rice, it's not great.  

I remember her mother or grandmother standing over the stove-top constantly monitoring  it.  They used to add all sorts of things depending on their mood.  As you said, cheese, butter, milk and even sour cream and spices sometimes.  Sweet and savoury varieties.  

We always have grits here, I suspect it's a mid-grind.  Always at the local markets.  

• Like 1