The palm oil problem

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

Any type of deep fry oil needs to changed on a schedule or it will give food a bitter, burnt, nasty taste.

You can normally smell it as soon as you walk into a restaurant if the oil is old.  Very distinctive.  I actually really like Krispy King chicken but I take a whiff before I buy it. 

• Like 1

P_X
Posted
Posted

While we're at it? Anyone know why they don't produce and sell more coconut oil here?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, P_X said:

Anyone know why they don't produce and sell more coconut oil here?

Mr Google says "Coconut (copra) oil crude was the 9th most exported product in Philippines" so I guess they do produce and sell it.

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilateral-product/coconut-copra-oil-crude/reporter/phl#:~:text=Exports In 2021%2C Philippines exported,most exported product in Philippines.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Mr Google says "Coconut (copra) oil crude was the 9th most exported product in Philippines" so I guess they do produce and sell it.

Which is odd as I found an article stating that there's not enough produced (mainly in Mindanao) to meet local demand.  But despite this, they impose a 13.5% tarrif on the import. 

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilateral-product/coconut-oil/reporter/phl

In 2021, Philippines exported $1.55B in Coconut Oil, making it the 2nd largest exporter of Coconut Oil in the world. At the same year, Coconut Oil was the 7th most exported product in Philippines. The main destination of Coconut Oil exports from Philippines are: Netherlands ($426M), United States ($342M), Malaysia ($108M), Germany ($105M), and Indonesia ($99.8M).

The fastest growing export markets for Coconut Oil of Philippines between 2020 and 2021 were Netherlands ($186M), Germany ($64.1M), and Indonesia ($61.5M).

IMPORTS
In 2021, Philippines imported $55.2M in Coconut Oil, becoming the 25th largest importer of Coconut Oil in the world. At the same year, Coconut Oil was the 344th most imported product in Philippines. Philippines imports Coconut Oil primarily from: Indonesia ($34.4M), Malaysia ($20.5M), Germany ($115k), France ($33.1k), and Vietnam ($29.4k).

The fastest growing import markets in Coconut Oil for Philippines between 2020 and 2021 were Malaysia ($11.5M), Indonesia ($6.49M), and Germany ($115k).

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Which is odd as I found an article

Same article.  I added a link.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, P_X said:

While we're at it? Anyone know why they don't produce and sell more coconut oil here?

My wife makes her own coconut oil.  Kind of a slow and laborious process to make it in small batches.  We do not use it for cooking as it has a relatively low smoke point.  The wife uses it mostly for skin care so a little goes a long way.  Also supposed to help dental health if you use it to "swish and spit".

• Like 1

P_X
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2023 at 2:18 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilateral-product/coconut-copra-oil-crude/reporter/phl#:~:text=Exports In 2021%2C Philippines exported,most exported product in Philippines.

Well yes, of course they export it. I've bought it in the states. What I meant was why it's not commonly sold here. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:15 AM, Mike J said:

My wife makes her own coconut oil.  Kind of a slow and laborious process to make it in small batches.  We do not use it for cooking as it has a relatively low smoke point.  The wife uses it mostly for skin care so a little goes a long way.  Also supposed to help dental health if you use it to "swish and spit".

Nice. Yes I've tried making it in the past and it was an arduous task indeed. 

Personally,  i love cooking with it. Adds a twist to the flavor and it seems to crisp things up rather well.  Much more healthier fat and very versatile as you noted 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, P_X said:

Well yes, of course they export it. I've bought it in the states. What I meant was why it's not commonly sold here. 

Nice. Yes I've tried making it in the past and it was an arduous task indeed. 

Personally,  i love cooking with it. Adds a twist to the flavor and it seems to crisp things up rather well.  Much more healthier fat and very versatile as you noted 

I drink coconut oil with my morning coffee with a little butter. Keto bullitproof coffee.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, BrettGC said:

You can normally smell it as soon as you walk into a restaurant if the oil is old.  Very distinctive.  I actually really like Krispy King chicken but I take a whiff before I buy it. 

We have bought chicken from Jollibee and apparently picked the wrong day because it had that - over-cooked smell and overwhelming taste of old coconut or palm oil...

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We have bought chicken from Jollibee and apparently picked the wrong day because it had that - over-cooked smell and overwhelming taste of old coconut or palm oil...

Pobably gone rancid, I doubt very much Jollibee would use coconut oil, palm oil maybe!