The palm oil problem

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

Pobably gone rancid, I doubt very much Jollibee would use coconut oil, palm oil maybe!

I know that was tongue-in-cheek Jim but I'm guessing they use canola oil same as MacD's and KFC.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

Pobably gone rancid, I doubt very much Jollibee would use coconut oil, palm oil maybe!

When I lived in another island country years ago, I learned that Monday was the worst day to buy fried foods. The workers told me that Monday was when they dumped the old oil and then refreshed the new oil. So Tuesday and beyond for a few days was good until maybe late Saturday night...

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, jimeve said:

I doubt very much Jollibee would use coconut oil, palm oil maybe!

Most fast-food stores stopped using palm oil years ago. Canola or sunflower and combinations.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted

Wish I could find peanut oil here.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

It is available here, but you have to look for it. SM sometimes carries it. Small, Chinese stores carry it. But it is hard to find...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Most fast-food stores stopped using palm oil years ago. Canola or sunflower and combinations.

JGF... I respectfully disagree. Both L and I have tasted the palm/laurieate oil a few times when buying their Jollibee chicken. Definite taste of palm oil with fried chicken. One time the taste was so strong that I actually could not eat it....

Edited by Tommy T.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Not the healthiest.... but I remember a time when McDonalds cooked their French fries in lard... they never tasted better. Same with movie theater popcorn, the taste was amazingly more flavorful.  As long as you don't eat fried food regularly... cooking with lard occasionally is not going to do any more harm than a big pot of pork adobo or some bacon.  Everything has a tradeoff.

We use...  peanut oil for French fries... sesame seed oil for most asian foods... olive oil for stir fry veggies... and coconut oil for pancakes.... and rarely eat out. I never paid attention, but.... as "common" as palm oil seems to be, I don't recall seeing it sold at the grocery store. Gonna look for it next  trip.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Not the healthiest.... but I remember a time when McDonalds cooked their French fries in lard...

McDonalds' reputation was having the best tasting fries.  The cooking oil blend they were using changed because the Muslim and Jewish religion does not allow for the consumption of anything from pigs.  That's a huge market.  Similarly, the most popular and tastiest brand of crackers in the Philippines changed their oil blend after local Muslim population found out.  Lard at one time was very popular for home cooking until consumer groups campaigned against it.  A popular brand was Crisco and I use to wonder what happened.  Well, they continued selling it to others like the dogs and cats food industry.  Some popular restaurants still continue to use lard because it makes their food tastier.  There are no laws requiring disclosure.  I still see lard sold in supermarkets popular with Mexicans.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:
5 hours ago, Greglm said:

It is available here, but you have to look for it. SM sometimes carries it. Small, Chinese stores carry it. But it is hard to find...

Yes. Peanut oil is very popular within the Chinese community.  It's expensive compared to other cooking oils.  When using peanut oil, add a few drops of sesame oil at the end.  It improves the taste.  

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Lard at one time was very popular for home cooking until consumer groups campaigned against it.  A popular brand was Crisco and I use to wonder what happened.

Actually... Crisco has been made from vegetable oil since 1911 when it first came out... still on the shelves in my store.