Paper-based licenses to save LTO’s day in the face of card shortages

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

At last there will be more money left in the budget for other important projects.

Right?

Well the spare or excess money isnt going to the Postal ID renewals.

Their system too has been out of order for past 2 months. no idea when renewals will start again Sir.. but heres the renewal form anyways.

Youngster
Posted
Posted

Oh boy, my license expires in September, so should I head over to LTO for renewal card now?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Youngster said:

Oh boy, my license expires in September, so should I head over to LTO for renewal card now?

You could always say you lost yours.  

• Like 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

That should work.  When I did a change of address last year and received replacement license, expiration date didn't change.  but, the expiration being just a few months away, maybe it will this time.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I could imagine that might be more trouble than it’s worth. 
Im sure there will be affidavits, a few trips back and worth to the LTO and endless amounts of signing. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gas said:

I could imagine that might be more trouble than it’s worth. 
Im sure there will be affidavits, a few trips back and worth to the LTO and endless amounts of signing. 

True, too easy just too look someone up on the LTO system and they just prove their identity.

• Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It works out at 47.8 PHP/card. You forgot to move the decimal place a couple of times? :whistling:

:shock_40_anim_gif:True. brain fart occurred. Didn't catch it until I was outside thinking about, But at the moment it seemed about right for the Philippines.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here is the latest news.  Sounds like LTO say licenses soon to expire will continue to be valid until they get more plastic.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/04/21/2260646/lto-extends-drivers-license-validity-amid-shortage-plastic-cards

MANILA, Philippines — The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has decided to extend the validity of soon to expire driver's licenses in a bid to appease angry motorists set to be affected by a supply shortage.

LTO chief Jay Art Tugade gave the announcement on Friday after a public backlash. The LTO official said on Friday that they will be issuing temporary driver's licenses printed on pieces of paper as plastic card supply are forecast to completely run out by the last week of April 2023.

RELATED STORIES
LTO scraps periodic medical exam requirement for driver's license holders
'Papel na muna': LTO to issue temporary driver's license amid low supply of plastic cards
"Many of our countrymen have already spoken. As a response to your suggestions, we are announcing that all driver's licenses set to expire by April 24, 2023 shall have their validity extended until Oct. 31, 2023," according to Tugade in Filipino during a video message released in the state-run PTV4.

"We, here at LTO, decided to do this because we no longer want to add to our motorist's hassle," he added. 

Netizens earlier pointed out that having such an important document printed out in a flimsy medium, even if temporary, would contribute to its fast deterioration. The plastic card shortage is said to hit around 5.2 million motorists.

The LTO official earlier revealed to the media that the problem was a result of a department order they received in January, stating that all procurement involving P50 million and above should be conducted by the Derpartment of Transportation central office.

The proposed official receipt (OR) that accompanies the paper licenses are said to bear a unique QR code that law enforcers will use for authentication purposes. Motorists are ordered to present the OR to authorities should they be apprehended in the road.

The supply problem is reported to affect all LTO offices nationwide. However, some officies in the National Capital Region allegedly still have a few more plastic cards. 

"We will continue to coordinate with the DOTr when it comes to the procurement process [of the plastic cards] that they are undertaking. Like you, and most of our people, we hope that they act fast on this issue," Tugade said.

"It is our duty here at the LTO to get rid of additional burdens to our motorists. Rest assured that we will actively listen and quickly act on public sentiment," he added.

It could be remembered that the government issued a similar temporary paper PhilSys ID cards on paper in 2022, after struggling to provide plastic identification cards to millions of registered Filipinos.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Some common sense at last.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Some common sense at last.

Sort off.
Nobody has thought about the thousands of Filipinos and foreigners who use their Philippine licenses abroad for travel or work. 
I use my Philippine license abroad for car hire and it’s about to expire soon. I have two trips abroad in the next few months and I’m sure Hertz won’t accept a expired license 🙁

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 1