Paper-based licenses to save LTO’s day in the face of card shortages

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

The problem was that the paper license gets unreadable after being folded up in a wallet for years

So you couldn't print a few copies or take photos of it to print another day?  Any reason you shouldn't leave the original home and carry a copy?  Just wondering. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So you couldn't print a few copies or take photos of it to print another day?  Any reason you shouldn't leave the original home and carry a copy?  Just wondering. 

That’s what I have done with my ‘new’ 10 year paper license. I have a photo of it, with QR code on my phone and keep a photocopy of the license with my car documents. The original I keep at home.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Any reason you shouldn't leave the original home and carry a copy? 

Main reason is you have to check with the LTO every once in a while to see if they are making plastic licenses that day.  If you hit it lucky you better have that original on you to give in exchange.  By the time you go home to get it the line will be full for the day.  I eventually got lucky.  Someone took pity on me because I had been in so many times that they told me in a loud voice "You are a senior so you can go to the front of the line today".  Voila!  I got my plastic.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Against the law as currently written.

<snip>

Section 19. Duty to procure license. - Except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act, no person shall operate any motor vehicle without first procuring a license to drive a motor vehicle for the current year, nor while such license is delinquent, invalid, suspended or revoked.

The license shall be carried by the driver at all times when operating a motor vehicle, and shall be shown and/or surrendered for cause and upon demand to any person with authority under this Act to confiscate the same.

<end snip>