Reducing ATM Fees

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I've tried to use world remit, but they won't transfer from an Australian bank to Philippines while I'm in the Philippines. I use a money conveyor to transfer money now.

Try a VPN set to Australia if you still want to use it.  They've just dropped their rates significantly for transfers under 1k AUD.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 4/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, Kingpin said:

That part only works after proving residency, correct? Non-residents need to request it, through the website.

I'm impressed they even allow that.

Nope, I've had it since day one almost 6yrs ago. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2023 at 12:05 AM, Kingpin said:

Exactly, and what makes HSBC optimal is you can also transfer funds from that savings account, to your HSBC Filipino USD bank account, and then to your HSBC Filipino PHP bank account (though that last part requires permission for non-residents).

@Snowy79  can your account handle the above currency transfers without asking first?

I do Sterling to Sterling in the Philippines then Sterling to Peso here for a better exchange rate. I can send Sterling direct from the UK to Peso here but lose a couple of Peso per pound if I do that. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Nope, I've had it since day one almost 6yrs ago. 

I mean this part:

6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Sterling to Peso here

Now the option to do that immediately on the website doesn't work for non-residents, you have to message / chat them to request it and then wait a day.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I mean this part:

Now the option to do that immediately on the website doesn't work for non-residents, you have to message / chat them to request it and then wait a day.

You can download the HSBC App and do it instantly.  Using secure messenger used to be the old way of doing it, for me that system is now obsolete. I have two Apps, one for the UK one for the Philippines, both work instantly. 

• Like 2