Filipino passport for British child born in Philippines

RomfordBrit
Posted
Posted

Good day!

I am trying to see if anyone has experience with the situation we (my husband and I) find ourselves in. 

we are both naturalised British citizens. I am a former Filipino. I did not reacquire (yet) my Filipino citizenship so technically I am only British at this time. We both got 1 year Balikbayan privilege stamp in our passports when we entered through NAIA. 

We gave birth to our son late last year IN Taguig city, Metro Manila, and have applied for his British passport. The application from overseas takes over 6 months. 

while we await our newborns British passport, is his status with Philippines immigration as an illegal? Do I need to do anything to register him with BI although I am not sure what is possible given he has no formal passport at this time. 

Will we have any issues when we eventually exit the country to return to UK once his British passport arrives ?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RomfordBrit said:

while we await our newborns British passport, is his status with Philippines immigration as an illegal? Do I need to do anything to register him with BI although I am not sure what is possible given he has no formal passport at this time. 

I could be wrong but you will probably have to register him as a Filipino citizen since he was born here. He then could get a Philippines passport. I can understand the headache all this can cause you.

• Like 2

RomfordBrit
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the reply! My old Philippines passport is currently with the Uk govt as it was a requirement to submit as part of my son’s UK passport application. Once it is returned I plan to reacquie my Filipino citizenship and I believe I can add my son at the same time. However until that process is completed I am unsure what my childs legal status here is. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RomfordBrit said:

Thank you for the reply! My old Philippines passport is currently with the Uk govt as it was a requirement to submit as part of my son’s UK passport application. Once it is returned I plan to reacquie my Filipino citizenship and I believe I can add my son at the same time. However until that process is completed I am unsure what my childs legal status here is. 

I'm no expert but I would say that if the BI should one day decide he was overstaying or without a visa all it will cost is the months he is here as in visa cost plus P1010 peso per month fine. Perhaps go to an immigration office and ask about your situation.

Added: You can go to BI Facebook page and message them as well.

The other cost since there was no passport probably a re-stamping fee. But at the moment nothing matters as he has no passport.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RomfordBrit said:

is his status with Philippines immigration as an illegal?

"Any person born to at least one Filipino parent receives Philippine citizenship at birth."  That statement refers to children born in the Philippines and is easily searchable.  Because you have given up your citizenship, and not yet reacquired it, you may have given up you child's citizenship too.  However common sense does not always work in the Philippines so it may be easier to just apply for a Philippine passport for your son and see what happens.

Worst case:  If they do not grant him citizenship then you wait for his British Passport to come then go to immigration and explain.  Probably a small fine for a late visa but that is because, once again, common sense does not always work in the Philippines.

Bottom line is you will be fine.  You are going to get a British Passport for him so when you leave the country you could just do nothing.  They will probably catch you at emigration and fine you for not having a visa for your son so be early for you flight and do what they tell you.

EDIT:  One more thing.  Wikipedia says:

Filipina women who had lost Philippine citizenship on their marriage to a foreigner or any former Philippine citizen who lost their citizenship due to political or economic reasons before October 23, 1995 may also reacquire Philippine citizenship after taking the oath of allegiance.[39] Any dependents of an individual who naturalize or reacquire Philippine citizenship are also granted citizenship.[40]

So you may be able to get citizenship for you son by just reacquiring your own.  The Bureau of Immigration in Manila handles re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship under Republic Act 9225

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

What does it say on your son's birth certificate?  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

What does it say on your son's birth certificate? 

I'm gonna guess it says the same as on the mother's.

• Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm gonna guess it says the same as on the mother's.

My thought too but then remembered where we are. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Based on all the comments, very few ( I mean none of us ) have any faith that logic and Philippines belongs in same sentence.  I hope you can resolve the situation...but recommend you ask BI seberal times in several different formats , as tou will probably get several differing responses.

When Immigration questions you on departing , show them the varying responses and let him/her/it /they/them figure it out.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Make sure you get a hard copy of their answer with a letter head on it