Honor This – Honor That

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

Asawa always uses the word ‘honor’ (also spelled as honour) when the children are not taking diligent care of their possessions, such as iPads, books, clothing… well, I guess just about anything or everything.

She’ll say things to our son such as “you didn’t honor your iPad and now it’s sira (broken).” Asawa uses this word quite often, so I finally asked her about the use of the word (honor), and she quickly changed the topic to avoid answering me. :huh:

Am I the only one who has a Filipina spouse/gf that uses ‘honor’ as a verb for taking good care of an object? :89: :laugh:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

Am I the only one who has a Filipina spouse/gf that uses ‘honor’ as a verb for taking good care of an object? 

Maybe yep.  But all have some English words that they prefer in may situations.  Its part of their charm.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

"Honor" is the equivalent of "being responsible" pronounced like a Spanish word.   It comes from the expression, "Palabra de Honor" or "word of honor." The child receives a toy from the parents, and he/she breaks it.  The reprimand implies a fault in the child for not taking care of it.  Newer words in English are now used like the more modern, "You bad."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But all have some English words that they prefer in may situations.  Its part of their charm.

Yes, sigurado! 

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

"Honor" is the equivalent of "being responsible" pronounced like a Spanish word.   It comes from the expression, "Palabra de Honor" or "word of honor."

Ang asawa might not even know this--i.e., the origin of using "honor."

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Am I the only one who has a Filipina spouse/gf that uses ‘honor’ as a verb for taking good care of an object?

Since she changed the subject it could be she mistakes the meaning as we might know it. I don't personally hear it but these days Im lucky to hear anything it seems, huh, what?  :unsure:

• Haha 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Maybe she got honor confused with respect, or maybe to her honor means take care of.

The funny thing is there really aren't any better words you could in that situation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L's favourite term to use for many things is "respect." That is really important to her and she relates to me that it is also of primary importance to most, if not all, Filipinos.... As in respect your spouses, parents, respect your teachers (she is one), respect your materials, respect your tools and equipment....and on and on... I have not heard her use or refer to the term honour... only respect... Maybe the same thing but because of different languages/dialects?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Asawa always uses the word ‘honor’ (also spelled as honour) when the children are not taking diligent care of their possessions, such as iPads, books, clothing… well, I guess just about anything or everything.

She’ll say things to our son such as “you didn’t honor your iPad and now it’s sira (broken).” Asawa uses this word quite often, so I finally asked her about the use of the word (honor), and she quickly changed the topic to avoid answering me. :huh:

Am I the only one who has a Filipina spouse/gf that uses ‘honor’ as a verb for taking good care of an object? :89: :laugh:

I've never heard my wife, or anybody else for that matter, use honor in that way.  It's too strong IMO - respect is more appropriate for everyday things/people.