Honor This – Honor That

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

My wife gets upset with me if I don't correct her English. We were eating at a restaurant back in the states and she said something but flipped the tence of two of the words. Out of habit I corrected her and laughed a little because she did the same thing an hour ago. Then the woman sitting in the both next to us turned and said maybe your wife or girl friend would learn better if you didn't make fun of her. Then she made some comment about men marring young Asian women so they can be in charge. My wife starting laughing and told her thank you for saying I'm a young Asian wife, but I'm 9 months older then my husband of 34 years and if you think he's in charge you are mistake. Of course I had to correct her"mistaken". I don't think I have laughed that hard in years.

Sorry, couldn't resist...:smile:

• Haha 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

My wife "drinks" her medicine or vitamins even if it is a pill. She also uses formal words where we would use informal or slang ones. I find it charming.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, Tommy T. said:

L's favourite term to use for many things is "respect." That is really important to her and she relates to me that it is also of primary importance to most, if not all, Filipinos.... As in respect your spouses, parents, respect your teachers (she is one), respect your materials, respect your tools and equipment....and on and on... I have not heard her use or refer to the term honour... only respect... Maybe the same thing but because of different languages/dialects?

My wife is the same, respect for others and take care of your stuff.

Something a bit off topic but may be educational, it was for me.  The use of the word "po" verbal or written.  When reading reading reviews/vendor questions for products I would often see a a vendor response response ending with the word "po".  Then I began to hear the word when Filipinos would converse.  After a bit of research I found there was no English translation of the word but it used a term of respect.  Below is from google.  

<snip>

The word “po” has been part of the Philippine tradition for a very long time ago… It has been part of the Philippine tradition along with saying “Opo” instead of “Oo”, pagmamano(bless), and many more… The word “po” is mostly used when talking to the elderly, or to someone in your work with a higher rank (ex: your boss / your manager), or in a high official of the government (ex: president)… It is also used when you’re talking to God (in prayers)… It is also used when talking to someone you don’t know… The word “po” is a sign of courtesy and respect and it is widely used not just in Metro Manila and its neighboring provinces (the places where you’ll find the Tagalogs and Manileños) but the entire country… When you talk to the elderly, your boss, your manager, government officials, or simply someone you don’t know, etc. without using this word, they will think that you are someone disrespectful unless you are a foreign national who doesn’t know how to speak in Filipino or how to use Filipino words… But sometimes, when talking to someone you don’t know, you can use the word “ho” instead of “po” because it is kind of more appropriate to use “ho” when you don’t know the person that you are talking to… It’s just hard to explain and also hard to understand when you are not a Filipino… But the words “po” and “ho” actually only means the same thing…

<end snip>

• Like 4