So my wife has been eating like a pig...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I had a vasectomy when I was 30, just after my divorce.  About 2 years later I was dating a girl in Australia, just dating mind you, not serious.  After about 2 months she calls me "Brett, Brett!  I'm pregnant!", she was Polish and had a thick accent so it sounded a little comical to my ear.  

My response was "I must be the immaculate f$%*ing conception then, I had a vasectomy 2 years ago."  Clunk, beep, beep beep from the other end. I went and had a sperm count just in case.. Still shooting blanks.  Never heard from her again.  

Congrats @P_X! How old are you, enquiring minds are curious.  You don't look much older than me based on your Youtube channel and after watching that I reckon I can safely bet that you have the patience, energy and adaptability to be a great dad.

So you are one of those deadbeat dads like Hunter B.?  :hystery: :hystery:

• Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So you are one of those deadbeat dads like Hunter B.?  :hystery: :hystery:

Nope, was already paying for three kids, hence the vasectomy!

• Haha 3

P_X
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Maybe your age is common knowledge here and, as a newbie, who just signed up and on a short lead, under moderation, it's impertinent for me to ask.  It just seems to me that if you want guys here to tell you their age at time of becoming a dad, you should go first, and tell us that vital statistic about yourself.

I'm 50. 

10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Oh dear, what was her reaction when you explained you had a vasectomy 20 years ago?  :laugh: Just joking, congrats :tiphat:

Hehe. I'm too afraid of docs to get the snip. And Thanks. Im excited about it 

10 hours ago, Old55 said:

Congratulations P_X!  Your wife seems a very nice lady you've done well. 

I was fifty three when we had our youngest son. My wife was 44.

Thanks! And She's wonderful. I'm blessed to have her for sure. 53. So similar to me. Well you seem to be enjoying it so that's encouraging.  Thanks man

7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I had a vasectomy when I was 30, just after my divorce.  About 2 years later I was dating a girl in Australia, just dating mind you, not serious.  After about 2 months she calls me "Brett, Brett!  I'm pregnant!", she was Polish and had a thick accent so it sounded a little comical to my ear.  

My response was "I must be the immaculate f$%*ing conception then, I had a vasectomy 2 years ago."  Clunk, beep, beep beep from the other end. I went and had a sperm count just in case.. Still shooting blanks.  Never heard from her again.  

Congrats @P_X! How old are you, enquiring minds are curious.  You don't look much older than me based on your Youtube channel and after watching that I reckon I can safely bet that you have the patience, energy and adaptability to be a great dad.

Wow, that Polish girl had nerve! Thankfully u had the snip, otherwise she might have pulled a fast one on ya.

As far as my age, I'm 50. Almost 51. And btw thanks for checking out my YouTube channel. 

And thanks for your encouraging words. 

I'm excited about having a kid. My only concern is being older and looking like his or her grandpa at graduation hehe

4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Congrats! 

I am 66 and my wife is 48.  We have a 9 year old daughter, a soon to be 7 year old daughter and my step-daughter is 18.

It is tough being older parents.  I think a key thing to remember is, PATIENCE!  Keep yourself in good shape or you can't keep up.  You can hire help but that is not always the best for the kids.  Your priorities will change, hopefully for the better.

My 9 year old was semi-planned but my youngest was a surprise.  Love them to death and wouldn't trade them for the world.  I never had kids before, and it is a joy to watch them grow up.  They are both spitfires, good and bad at times!  My youngest is more like me.  Hardheaded and with my sense of humor.  My oldest is more like my wife.  Creative and artsy.

We went to the waterpark on Saturday and I was the only old fart doing the slides with them!  A few years ago I was too heavy for the slides (120 kg max at most) but now I am down to 102, so I am allowed. :dance:  There were a few other foreigner dads there and they did not do the slides.  Chickens!

Thanks!

That's awesome advice brother.  And it sounds like the dad life suits you quite well.  Good job on the weight loss.  And that's great that you're gutsy enough to take the plunge on the slides.

Edited by P_X
Typos
  • Like 2

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, P_X said:

I'm 50. 

I'm excited about having a kid. My only concern is being older and looking like his or her grandpa at graduation hehe

Holy jumpin', you're just a kid yourself!  I was 53 when mine was born!  Not unusual in the Phils for guys in their 60s to be having kids.  They seem to do okay. You'll be fine.  Enjoy the experience.  Being a late bloomer has its rewards.  For one, usually you have your financial house in order.  In my 50s I had time to became a dad.  In my 30s, too busy establishing a career.  It would have been a major worry.  

• Like 4

P_X
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Yes, the $$ isn't a huge concern these days thankfully.  Although I still have some work to do for a few more years. But supporting a family is entirely doable. Especially here.

It definitely changes a few plans I had in mind but that's fine. 

You're right, at a younger age things would have been significantly different. Mostly if I were living in the states and paying all them bills that goes with it. And trying to juggle everything. 

Now I have rental properties that pay for themselves.  Soon I can sell, and will be set. 

I plan on getting property here once I unload what I have back home. I might speed that process up now that this has happened. 

Being a landlord has major downsides anyhow. 

That's cool you had yours at 53..basically the same scenario. It's great to hear positive feedback.  Alleviates a few of my concerns..which weren't huge concerns to begin with.  Mostly the age is what's on my mind.

I mean,  I knew it'd happen eventually.  It was a prerequisite for my wife when we first met. She wanted to be sure the person she settled down with wanted children and wasn't "fixed". Hehe

I just didn't expect it to happen so fast. 

It's not a bad thing at all for the speed of it. In fact the younger I am the better for the kids sake n all. 

Thanks for the feedback man 

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

I was in my mid 40's when my first daughter was born and in my early 60's when the second was born. Don't regret a moment. In truth until I was in the second half of my life I was probably not good father material. :smile:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, P_X said:

I'm 50. 

In 12 years, your child will be able to get a social security benefit if you decide to get SS at age 62.  They will get about half your benefit.  Usually this makes taking SS at age 62 a no brainer, but you have to do the math and consider other factors such as your health.  I have two kids so it was a no brainer no brainer for me.  Our family SS is double what I would get alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

P_X
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Greglm said:

I was in my mid 40's when my first daughter was born and in my early 60's when the second was born. Don't regret a moment. In truth until I was in the second half of my life I was probably not good father material. :smile:

I too wasn't the best father material in my 20s and early 30s. And i had a son when i was 20. Ot wasn't that i was out partying or anything of that nature was pretty chill by 28, but the $$ wasn't there so...I know what you mean. I'm glad things worked out for you in the right timing 

8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In 12 years, your child will be able to get a social security benefit if you decide to get SS at age 62.  They will get about half your benefit.  Usually this makes taking SS at age 62 a no brainer, but you have to do the math and consider other factors such as your health.  I have two kids so it was a no brainer no brainer for me.  Our family SS is double what I would get alone.

Really...I didn't know that.  That's probably a thing I'll do as long as circumstances permit down the line. 

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Don's correct in this important benefit. You earned it so take advantage of it.

It would be worthwhile to log into My Social Security and create an online account now.  Then contact them through that portal to request an analysis on your projected payout.