My Motor Vehicle Accident

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

My understanding is, if a tourist a photo copy is sufficient.

Yes, a clear color copy of both the data page and the page with the entry stamp is enough in most situations. 

50 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

You'd think ACR would be sufficient but.... YMMV!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Not every tourist has one. Many years ago I didn’t get one until I started staying for longer periods of time. Even then, more often then not they didn’t have any stock of the plastic blanks and by the time they got them I had already left. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Yes, a clear color copy of both the data page and the page with the entry stamp is enough in most situations. 

Not every tourist has one. Many years ago I didn’t get one until I started staying for longer periods of time. Even then, more often then not they didn’t have any stock of the plastic blanks and by the time they got them I had already left. 

It's almost impossible to read the entry stamp from my latest entry to the point I was concerned that BI would question it when I first renewed (I doubt I could photo copy it).

I stay 6 months here and 6 months in Aussie and have for 6 years, so far I'm yet to actually see an ACR card ... they've never been ready 1 extension after the ACR card is paid for and I'm gone before the second extension expires.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I stay 6 months here and 6 months in Aussie and have for 6 years

The question about the accident and the passport had me thinking if they check to see if you have been driving in the Philippines on a foreign license for more than the 3 months they allow (correct me if that is out of date).  So what license would you show if you were in an accident as the OP was?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The question about the accident and the passport had me thinking if they check to see if you have been driving in the Philippines on a foreign license for more than the 3 months they allow (correct me if that is out of date).  So what license would you show if you were in an accident as the OP was?

I don't drive past the 90 day allowed time limit and hence I present my Australian license (which is current), past that point somebody in the family drives me or I take a taxi or tricycle.  However I have had more than one Policeman refuse to accept my Australian license inside the 90 day allowed period (once after only 2 weeks in the Philippines).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I don't drive past the 90 day allowed time limit and hence I present my Australian license (which is current), past that point somebody in the family drives me or I take a taxi or tricycle.  However I have had more than one Policeman refuse to accept my Australian license inside the 90 day allowed period (once after only 2 weeks in the Philippines).

How did it turn out when the police refused to accept your license Geoff? 

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I don't drive past the 90 day allowed time limit

When I was going through this years ago, I had to produce a PI ID showing that I was going to stay in the country past 90 days. I got a postal ID and was then allowed to get a PI DL as my US DL was still valid. No written or behind the wheel test was required but a drug and eye test was.

The hang up for me was providing an electric bill that was in my name to get the postal ID.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

How did it turn out when the police refused to accept your license Geoff? 

The most recent time we rode up to the north checkpoint.  A one stripe policeman looked at my Aussie license and called over the 3 stripe policeman and showed him my Aussie license. I offered proof of duration of stay (which they said wasn't needed) and they allowed me to continue.  Paterno however got booked for "riding in slippers".

Later on we got to a check point on the other side of the city, the 1 stripe policeman looked confused by my Aussie license and called over a 2 stripe policeman (no 3 at this checkpoint) and he just said "Not Valid",  I tried to explain that the LTO allowed 90 day and he got angry and said NOT VALID! and walked off.

The one stripe looked a bit embarrassed and went to speak to another 2 stripe police man, after a bit he came back and had a long talk to Paterno (who was riding with me) and offered to change the expensive "no license" fine to a cheaper "riding with slippers" fine (I wasn't but that one was 5 times cheaper so we said yes).

We got given that ticket and next day Paterno went to the city hall and paid the fine for "no slippers".

NB This wasn't in Cagayan De Oro, I've never had any issues with my Aussie license there.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My wife is about to start driving lessons here -

I expect to be revisiting this particular topic more often! :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My wife is about to start driving lessons here -

I expect to be revisiting this particular topic more often! :whistling:

Thankfully my wife was taught by her former bosses wife whilst living in Switzerland.  After learning there she gets more frustrated on the road than I do.  

• Like 3