Puerta Princessa Palawan

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Skimmed the thread and didn't see where anyone mentioned the PP city tour. Best city tour I've ever experienced.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Skimmed the thread and didn't see where anyone mentioned the PP city tour. Best city tour I've ever experienced.

I was just looking at an AirBnb that had some guided tours offered.  See picture.  P800 a head for the city tour seems reasonable.  Anything I should look out for?

This Air Bnb also has a Wildtrack available for 2200 a day.  I was thinking about using it too.  Having a guide / driver makes going around to sights much easier.  No worries on parking, etc.

Screenshot (1010).png

Screenshot (1012).png

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I don't see a much different itinerary from, say 15 years or so, when we were there. Baker's Hill, Crocodile Farm, Politician's estate overlooking the city. etc. Never took us to the cathedral, but did take us to the prison farm gift shop. Not too many tourists around then, so it was never very crowded then. I don't recall any travel groups of Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc. at the time. Not sure what the traffic is like now. The places weren't really designed to accommodate modern, mass tourism, and if its become real popular..... well, they certainly are processing a lot more tourists at the underground river, from what I could see on some current vids.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I was just looking at an AirBnb that had some guided tours offered.  See picture.  P800 a head for the city tour seems reasonable.  Anything I should look out for?

This Air Bnb also has a Wildtrack available for 2200 a day.  I was thinking about using it too.  Having a guide / driver makes going around to sights much easier.  No worries on parking, etc.

Screenshot (1010).png

Screenshot (1012).png

I don't see the WW2 atrocity site listed. It's a must-see place. The WW2 museum wasn't on the tour, had to find it myself. It's well worth a visit. It had several items that I had never seen before, and that's saying a lot.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Has anyone experienced a yacht, or a rental boat that you can hire for the day?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Was years ago how ever always remember Port Barton as a wonderful laid back beach. Road down was bad during rainy times, guess now it's a tourist mecca.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

Has anyone experienced a yacht, or a rental boat that you can hire for the day?

In Palawan, not yet.  I will probably hire a bangka boat for Honda Bay.

Here is Subic we have a lot of yacht rental outfits.  I have been out a few times when others hired them for a birthday, etc.  They used to be a lot more reasonable but when fuel jumped, prices jumped too.  3 hour base price is usually 12k and up now, maybe including a meal.

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2023 at 4:07 AM, starrt said:

Hi,

We stayed at Astoria Palawan late last year. It is a far drive from PP, and there is nothing, aside from the resort, in the area.

They do have the water park adjacent to the hotel, with a free one day usage for hotel guests.

The food is good, always a buffet breakfast, and the menu, although a bit on the small side for selection, is ok.

The beach is not that inviting, but they have boards and kayaks etc available for rent.

Have fun.

We are here at Astoria now, and so far I find your assessment spot on.  Breakfast buffet was good and plenty for my keto.  I like that they keep every properly hot or cold.  Pools are nice.  Beach is closed and not inviting anyway.  Going to water park tomorrow.  We have two adjoining rooms that nice and works well for us.  One room has dining table, full size frig, sink and small induction cooktop.  The other has small sink and small frig.  So far, I would probably give the place 3.8 on the 5 star rating.  Employees have been very good.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2023 at 2:40 AM, Baluoyolo said:

The underground river in PP - honestly, I would recommend just avoiding it. The most fun part about it was seeing the monkeys steal food from the tourists who violated the "no food" rule. The cavern itself was a waste of time, there was nothing to see - just 30 minute boat ride with the guide going "Ohhh look at that rock it looks like Batman/Jesus/Virgin Mary". That is literally it, everything else is just transport. By the way, even though it is called the Puerto Princesa underground river, it is nowhere near PP - most of the day will just be spent in a van traveling to/from the site.

We still have not decided.  Seems to be a love/hate thing with the caves.  Many say "don't miss" and others, like you, say "must miss". 😀

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are here at Astoria now

Strange coincidence!  Ran into a neighbor here at Astoria.  He lives 2 blocks from us in Subic!

• Like 1