Young at heart but not of body!

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

A warning to older members.

One of the problems of having a much younger wife is you try to keep up with her climbing hills or steep stairs!

Despite warnings from my son and Cel I set out to prove I could climb a steep hill in Tasmania with magnificent views of Wine Glass Bay at the top....and I did it..at 76 an achievement! BUT....I paid a penalty having old knees with my left leg giving way in Bangkok on our way back to the Philippines:sad:

After seeing an orthopedic doc turns out I have injured three tendons in my left knee including my Hamstring so I am on anti-inflammatory meds home rest no driving wearing a full length knee immobilizer for 4 weeks:bonk:...at least he thinks no surgery needed thank God.

This will (finally)teach me to recognize my age limitations in future!!

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

20230524_165531.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Glad to hear it's not too serious Mike!

I wish I had the ability to do the things some of you guys do that are 20 years plus older than me!  But alas, no.  Two dodgy and reconstructed knees (rugby union - both will need replacing in about 10 years apparently), athritis in my hip (rugby - again, replacement is on the cards down the line), dodgy back (service related injury - investigating new surgeries) and an umbilical hernia caused by my own stupidity and miscalculating ability vs ambition!  Next trip back to Australia I'll be getting the hernia fixed.  I investigated having the hernia done here but to many unknowns for my liking.  

Good on all of you that still make the effort!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Whoa Mt Kililanjaro makes my climb look like a mole hill lol

Well done Freebie what an achievement 👏 

• Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Crikey Brett you put me to shame mate had no idea you had all those old Rugby Union injuries and knee replacements. My lot is a non event by comparison lol

Assume you are talking getting the hernia done in Australia privately? I have a bladder retention problem but it would be 4-6 months waiting period on Medicare for the operation by a Urologist. I could get it done privately for AUD$ 3,000 but will seek a second opion with the ultrasound test here and then decide here or next trip to Oz.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Crikey Brett you put me to shame mate had no idea you had all those old Rugby Union injuries and knee replacements. My lot is a non event by comparison lol

Assume you are talking getting the hernia done in Australia privately? I have a bladder retention problem but it would be 4-6 months waiting period on Medicare for the operation by a Urologist. I could get it done privately for AUD$ 3,000 but will seek a second opion with the ultrasound test here and then decide here or next trip to Oz.

I'm on the list and the notification will trigger the trip back.  I could go private but given I'll be doing it in Cairns, the list isn't that long there so hopefully early next year or sooner if I'm lucky.  I could go private as well but can't see the point honestly, and yes about the same cost as your issue if I have the mesh rather than the full repair.  Knees aren't replaced yet but will be in about 8-12 years according to the ortho.  Funny thing is I can still pass the fitness test at the under 30yo level; in the navy we had the option of a swim.  Running or the beep test would cause an issue though.  The most annoying thing is the hernia; I can't do any core work and a strong core helps support the back when the dodgy hip throws it out when I favour that hip too much.  I walk the dogs for about 45 mins to an hour a day pretty briskly but any faster than a brisk walk the knees, hip and back play up a bit.  I currently have a body that works on the the domino effect:  One thing goes bad, it knocks everything else over.   

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OzeMike said:

After seeing an orthopedic doc

Which hospital, in Philippines?

6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I had the pleasure of doing Kilimanjaro also a few years back but my downfall was Mount Kinabalu. I came off the mountain with ripped ligaments, torn cartilage, bone islands on my knee and about two more pages of issues.

Not that I had any plans, but this thread has warned me off mountains forever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Glad to hear it's not too serious Mike!

I wish I had the ability to do the things some of you guys do that are 20 years plus older than me!  But alas, no.  Two dodgy and reconstructed knees (rugby union - both will need replacing in about 10 years apparently), athritis in my hip (rugby - again, replacement is on the cards down the line), dodgy back (service related injury - investigating new surgeries) and an umbilical hernia caused by my own stupidity and miscalculating ability vs ambition!  Next trip back to Australia I'll be getting the hernia fixed.  I investigated having the hernia done here but to many unknowns for my liking.  

Good on all of you that still make the effort!

For someone whom has more than enough medical issue sure love your happy cheerful posts.

Guess at this point in time I doing OK at 72, Gym three times a week, quite intensive, heart rate average 145...150 during cardio, tennis twice a week, heaps swimming and hiking, no majors at moment. Just waiting.......Very careful diet though.

• Like 2