Red Ribbon U.S. Prices!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some of the local grocery stores here have nice above average cakes $25-$30 range. A very high quality specialty bakery cake costs ~$35-$50.

We don't care for Red Ribbon much find them too wet and the chocolate icing tastes artificial to us.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If you like carrot cake I found an awesome recipe several years back.  I tweaked the spices just a bit by adding 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.  Cake is moist and delicious even without the frosting which I leave off to cut calories.  

Ingredients
3 cups grated carrots

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups white sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 eggs

¾ cup vegetable oil

1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract

1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice

¾ cup chopped pecans

3 ½ cups confectioners' sugar

1 (8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese

½ cup butter, softened

1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

In a large bowl, combine grated carrots, flour, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in eggs, oil, 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, pineapple and 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, Neufchatel cheese, 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until smooth, then stir in 1 cup chopped pecans. Spread on cooled cake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

If you like carrot cake I found an awesome recipe several years back.

I love carrot cake too much but now I would only eat it on a special occasion.  I don't think the kids acquired the taste yet but I will save the recipe.  Thanks!  I used to make carrot cake.  The carrots are usually not sweet in PH but I guess that doesn't matter much??

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I love carrot cake too much but now I would only eat it on a special occasion.  I don't think the kids acquired the taste yet but I will save the recipe.  Thanks!  I used to make carrot cake.  The carrots are usually not sweet in PH but I guess that doesn't matter much??

I don't think it matters a lot.  I do find that the cake turns out better if you use the course side of the grater instead of the fine side when grating the carrots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1