Banko boat ownership?

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The biggest issue you're going to run into is the locals that fish for a living in that they may see it as competition/theft of their fish.  My 13yo nephew spear fishes and he's sometimes chased off by the locals so I'm not sure how they'd react to a westerner doing something similar. 

I didn't think about that.  I guess I could find a local to take me fishing which could be a better option.  I would feel safer having my own boat in good shape instead of a boat that is hmmm.  Hard to explain this without being insulting, but Filipino quality and reliability?  I've had a few boats, and always kept them in shape, and had a little box in the boat with spare plugs, prop, shear pins, and some tools.  I guess if I can find a local with a GOOD boat I could just hire them to take me out.  But then I won't be a Captain Jack Sparrow.

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 4

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I agree with Brett.

I used to SCUBA dive in Sogod Bay and other locations. Several times locals met us at the beach asking if we "Took Any Of Their Fish"?

This almost reminds me of USA and how Native Americans (Indians) had no concept of land ownership, so we were able to buy the USA land for beads and trinket junk.  I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish? 

Edited by JoeLansing

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, JoeLansing said:

This almost reminds me of USA and how Native Americans (Indians) had no concept of land ownership, so we were able to buy the USA land for beads and trinket junk.  I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish? 

Right or wrong, yes they do.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

They are legally licensed to harvest them..... well, at least that's the idea.  If you get a fishing permit, then you should be able to fish within the scope of the law, I would hope, but I'm sure that people's feelings in these matters are of a different nature.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

They are legally licensed to harvest them..... well, at least that's the idea.  If you get a fishing permit, then you should be able to fish within the scope of the law, I would hope, but I'm sure that people's feelings in these matters are of a different nature.

It's not so different to the oft heard complaint about foreigners coming into a country (usually from a less developed country) and working legally yet facing the criticism that they are stealing local jobs.

• Like 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted

I gave a real try at sport fishing in the Phils, with pretty decent rods and reels.  Casting from shore, trolling and jigging in protected waters from bangkas, overnight trips into the West Philippine Sea.  Poor to miserable experiences all around.

When I brought my Filipina to the States she quickly learned to catch, clean, and cook trout and other species.  She posted those adventures on the Facebook page she uses for her family to follow her travels.  Her extended family, especially those who have fished for a living, were surprised.  Plenty of fish for anyone who wants to fish?  Casting from shore and catching fish?  Releasing fish back into the water??!!

When we return to the Phils we'll bring those fine memories with us.  But all our fishing tackle will stay here with family members, never to see the Philippines.

• Like 4