Banko boat ownership?

mountainside
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish?

As compared to foreigners?  They surely do.  Their fishing grounds are depleted of fish, and they can't become farmers or call center agents overnight.  Constant competition for fewer fish makes it a bad scene for a foreigner who might want to live on their island and compete with them for one single fish, let alone a few big ones.  Here's how it was in Bohol two years ago -- and I can't imagine it's gotten better since then.  https://archive.foodfirst.org/fishing-in-the-bohol-sea/  

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, mountainside said:

As compared to foreigners?  They surely do.  Their fishing grounds are depleted of fish, and they can't become farmers or call center agents overnight.  Constant competition for fewer fish makes it a bad scene for a foreigner who might want to live on their island and compete with them for one single fish, let alone a few big ones.  Here's how it was in Bohol two years ago -- and I can't imagine it's gotten better since then.  https://archive.foodfirst.org/fishing-in-the-bohol-sea/  

I didn't actually ask "I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish".  I was responding to the post I've quoted below.  I think you've somehow quoted the post and attributed the statement to me when it was Joe that asked the question. 

4 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

This almost reminds me of USA and how Native Americans (Indians) had no concept of land ownership, so we were able to buy the USA land for beads and trinket junk.  I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish? 

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mountainside said:

Very enlightening article.  Thanks for sharing.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

This almost reminds me of USA and how Native Americans (Indians) had no concept of land ownership, so we were able to buy the USA land for beads and trinket junk.  I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish? 

Native Americans cannot own land within the reservation.  It is all held in trust by the US government.  Very complicated issue.  In American Samoa, the residents bury their dead in the front yard as a way to establish de facto ownership.  But it is not their land.

As a teenager, I wanted to learn how to fish.  My father said, "No."  You buy them from fishermen.  The solution to your situation is to join fishermen to help them catch their fish with some additional assistance like buying the fuel needed.  The harvest is then sold, and proceeds divided, or you can get your proportional share (what you caught).  But you are not the captain.

Another way is to buy the boat and lease it out on a daily basis similar to the "boundary" system use for city taxis.  Someone else owns the taxi as a business.  The driver pays an agreed amount to the owner for use, usually 12 hours.  If you see an "Out of Service" sign on a Sunday and the taxi is filled with children, it's probably the vehicle's owner driving his family to an outing.

On the days you want to fish, make sure you take along a local who will vouch for you if questioned.  If the person in charge is trustworthy and well known within the fishing community, nothing will get stolen.  Besides, most of the gear, including the propeller, will be taken to a nearby home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I didn't actually ask "I wonder if the Filipinos think they own the fish".  I was responding to the post I've quoted below.  I think you've somehow quoted the post and attributed the statement to me when it was Joe that asked the question.

You're right -- my apologies.  I meant to quote the OP, but got sloppy with my quoting.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

On the same subject but different.

The day after we bought acreage out of town we returned the next day to find the person whom we bought the land off there with a team of workers cutting down the stands of bamboo that were on the property. Why “because they were his”. How do you deal with this ignorance? We got some of our workers and cut down the remaining trees and took all of them away.
And so started the endless game of him moving boundary pegs and us having to get surveys done until we cemented them in good and proper.

I guess there is no such thing as more furious and frustrating as dealing with fools in the provinces.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...
mountainside
Posted
Posted

Recent sport fishing news:

Another Iligan angler wins BU Fishing Tournament Cebu Championship

Ian B. Melecio - The Freeman 
June 28, 2023 | 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Mindanaoans have again conquered the Cebuanos in the Boaters Unlimited Fishing Tournament Cebu held last weekend in Lapu-Lapu City.

Don Saldivar landed a 12.55 kilogram Dogtooth Tuna, which is known for its aggressiveness and pulling power. This kind of fish is on every angler’s wish list.

Saldivar was with Richard Camence and Jay Borja who are from Cagayan de Oro City but represented the Iligan Anglers Club (IAC), which also won the championship Non-Boaters Category in the last year’s tournament.

Next to Saldivar was Jesus Manubag who bagged the first place with his 11.30 kilogram Giant Trevally; Brian Alegado with his 9.55 kilogram Grouper for second place; while Ryan Pelayo settled for the third place with his 9.10 kilogram Amberjack.

Organizers led by Vincent Ardon Villocino told The Freeman that 138 participants from all over the country joined the three-day fishing tournament that also featured a pocket tournament for casting category in the second day.

The harvest was closed to 100 different species and sizes, but only 30 were registered as entries in the competition and the rest were brought home by the anglers themselves.

At least P240,000 worth of awards were given to the winners and special awardees. The event was sponsored 20 entities led by Converge, the local government of Lapu-Lapu City and the Department of Tourism.

“In the spirit of camaraderie and equality, everyone is on the same even footing. These eliminate any connotation of being part of a group, tier or level. It means, brothers in angling, without any designation or titles,” Villocino explained about the changes in this year’s tournament.

Instead of having two categories-- boaters and non-boaters, the tournament only held one.

“Our aim has always been to empower and lead the way in not only promoting the sport but inspiring future anglers to be the guardians of our marine ecosystem through sustainable fishing,” Villocino added.  

• Like 2

Joe LP
Posted
Posted

Not sure this helps or not, but the wife's cousin is a "professional fisherman" here.  He and his partner have their own boat.  They made friends with a family on a river that runs off the main river that runs to the ocean.  Every day when they are done they take their boat all the way back to the home of their "friends" and pull it up on land and the family watches for them for a small fee each month.   That secures the boat for them.

They are licensed to fish.  So, they are the type who will face any new comers that look like possible fish stealers.  So can't help you on that side.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2023 at 11:12 AM, manofthecoldland said:

They are legally licensed to harvest them..... well, at least that's the idea.  If you get a fishing permit, then you should be able to fish within the scope of the law, I would hope

Its very sweet that you bring logic into the discussion, but do remember that Philippines and logic are rarely seen together. Its called a long distance relationship.

• Like 2