Balikbayan Renewal Policy

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I believe you can extend Balikbayan one time by going to a Bureau of Immigration office.  I think it's for six months.

Can you provide any recent documentation on this or even anecdotal evidence on a person you know who has done that?  I have never even seen that mentioned before. I HAVE seen foreigners getting a 6 month Tourist visa upon expiry of the Balikbayan.  Is that what your mean?  

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Can you provide any recent documentation on this or even anecdotal evidence on a person you know who has done that?  I have never even seen that mentioned before. I HAVE seen foreigners getting a 6 month Tourist visa upon expiry of the Balikbayan.  Is that what your mean?  

If a balikbayan has taken advantage of his/her privilege and stayed in the country for one year, he/she may apply for an extension of stay for an additional one, two, or six months by paying the appropriate fees at the nearest office of the Bureau of Immigration.

The above paragraph is from the Philippines Embassy Singapore website.  It does not state what kind of extension visa.  Maximum stay is 36 months which I assume they calculate from first day of entry.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

It does not state what kind of extension visa.

Perhaps they are calling it an extended stay visa but it has fees so its obviously very similar to a tourist visa.  Not much advantage to that, is there? Still might be cheaper than leaving and coming back for man and wife.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:
If a balikbayan has taken advantage of his/her privilege and stayed in the country for one year, he/she may apply for an extension of stay for an additional one, two, or six months by paying the appropriate fees at the nearest office of the Bureau of Immigration.

The above paragraph is from the Philippines Embassy Singapore website.  It does not state what kind of extension visa.  Maximum stay is 36 months which I assume they calculate from first day of entry.

The extension periods and 36 month max certainly makes it sound like a conversion to a tourist visa.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
M1ke
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, JJReyes said:

I believe you can extend Balikbayan one time by going to a Bureau of Immigration office.  I think it's for six months.  Bring your wife and her passport with you.  You can also return to the Philippines and get another BB on entry.  Please keep me informed through a forum posting since I am curious.  My wife and I also avail to this privilege.

Wow that i didn't know, but i wonder does this mean they will extend Balikbayan visa (another stamp?) or it is just a convenient reminder about prolonging as a tourist...

Tourists must go through exit clearance procedure to acquire Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) if stayed over six months.

M1ke
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys for replies! 

Sorry i lost the link to this forum )

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, M1ke said:

Wow that i didn't know, but i wonder does this mean they will extend Balikbayan visa (another stamp?) or it is just a convenient reminder about prolonging as a tourist...

Tourists must go through exit clearance procedure to acquire Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) if stayed over six months.

I have not seen anything that makes me believe you can extend the balikbayan privilege.   The reality is that many folks living here would have done it if it were possible.  Until I see a source quoted from the BOI I will continue to assume you must get a tourist visa prior to or at the end of the 1 year.  So yes you can "extend your stay" but as a tourist not as a balikbayan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2