Top 10 Cheapest Countries

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is one vloggers opinion about 10 countries where you can live large on US$1,000 a month.  And Philippines ain't on the list.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

After the first minute, I stopped it. Obvious, to me at least, that it is mostly BS, aimed at escapist dreamers. Just another piece of click bait cluttering up YT these days.  IMO 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Laughing my butt off.  Did not listen past Indonesia where he says, in an exciting voice, the cost of living in the "big city" is ONLY ONE HALF OF LONDON!!!!  :whistling:

Google says the cost of living in London for a family of four is $4424 US dollars WITHOUT rent.   I am guessing you might live under a bridge in Singapore for $1000 per month. 

Mom always told him smoking too much weed could have long term effects.  Did he listen?  Nope.  :hystery:

• Haha 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Most vloggers never experienced living in these places within the $1,000 budget mentioned.  They just copy or regurgitate information from previous postings.  The more sensible ones mention $2,000 as the minimum and recommend $3,000 per month.  

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Most vloggers never experienced living in these places within the $1,000 budget mentioned. 

It is possible to live in the Philippines on $1000 US per month, it's not 'comfortable' but it's definitely possible.

Rent a pad for around 10000 peso per month (can do it cheaper than that for semi ok around CDO), eat like a local (rice and various meat or fish 3 times a day), ride a cheap motor bike for transport, use fans for cooling (no AC), buy generic medicines and you'll do it easily 

I don't want to live like that but it is doable.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

click bait

That is what it is all about. That is how they make their money. I dont even bother looking at trash like this :56da64a2558f6_3_8_141:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It is possible to live in the Philippines on $1000 US per month, it's not 'comfortable' but it's definitely possible.

It must be possible given a very high percentage of the population manage it, and on even less in many cases.  

I guess it's more difficult for a foreigner than a local for various reasons.  

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Rent a pad for around 10000 peso per month (can do it cheaper than that for semi ok around CDO), eat like a local (rice and various meat or fish 3 times a day), ride a cheap motor bike for transport, use fans for cooling (no AC), buy generic medicines and you'll do it easily 

I don't want to live like that but it is doable.

During my teen years, there was a fascinating guide, "Europe on $5 A Day" by Arthur Frommer.  One of the comments in a later edition, from a reader was, "A cheap meal in Europe is to go to a Chinese restaurant and order a bowl of white rice.  The soy sauce on your table is free.  Enjoy."  It is possible to reside in the Philippines really cheap by going native.  But a traditional meal of one small salty dried fish, one tomato with a dash of fish sauce and a mound of rice doesn't sound appealing.

• Like 4

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Other than rent I'd rather live in the UK if I was on a low income than the Philippines. Food and bills are about the same and if it came to it I'd take the UK with no heating over the Philippines without aircon.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Other than rent I'd rather live in the UK if I was on a low income than the Philippines. Food and bills are about the same and if it came to it I'd take the UK with no heating over the Philippines without aircon.

I've said as much many times - living a comfortable life in the Philippines is not all that cheap unless you are going more or less native and then throw in the fact you'll get no support here if you're poor but sufficient in the UK it's a no-brainer.

• Like 1