Top 10 Cheapest Countries

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, JJReyes said:

During my teen years, there was a fascinating guide, "Europe on $5 A Day" by Arthur Frommer.  One of the comments in a later edition, from a reader was, "A cheap meal in Europe is to go to a Chinese restaurant and order a bowl of white rice.  The soy sauce on your table is free.  Enjoy."  It is possible to reside in the Philippines really cheap by going native.  But a traditional meal of one small salty dried fish, one tomato with a dash of fish sauce and a mound of rice doesn't sound appealing.

Yep.  There is a big difference between "existing" on 1K/month, "living" on 2K/month, and enjoying the good life on 3K/month.   The folks trying to make a living writing blogs, travel pieces, etc. tend to write what the reader wants to hear instead of what the reader needs to know.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Yep.  There is a big difference between "existing" on 1K/month, "living" on 2K/month, and enjoying the good life on 3K/month.   The folks trying to make a living writing blogs, travel pieces, etc. tend to write what the reader wants to hear instead of what the reader needs to know.  

There is also a big difference living on 1k in a rural province and 1k in Manilla, for example.  

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Cost of living is relative.  Some people think my wife and I are rich to be able to afford travel on a year-round basis.  But we are not saddled with a large mortgage, month maintenance expenses, property taxes and expensive home repairs.  Add unnecessary purchases like a new barbeque grill or weekend bicycles that ends up being stored in the garage.   Zero debt.  Everything is on a cash basis.  We don't have expensive jewelry, watches and fashion clothes.  This means we have funds available for our lifestyle.

Philippines is part of our backup plan for the time we need caregivers.  The minimum amount in the US for one full-time in-home caregiver is $6,000.  Big savings, within our cost of living, by relocating to the Philippines.  I emailed several vloggers they should write about this.  No.  They prefer to copy each other.  There are ad infinitum stories about Boracay and El Nido.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, fillipino_wannabe said:

Other than rent I'd rather live in the UK if I was on a low income than the Philippines

I can see why you'd say "other than rent" with the current homeless problems in London

Homelessness in London soars by 38% | London Evening Standard | Evening  Standard