Cordless Drills

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

Before moving to the Philippines I bought a new 18v Makita 1/2 hammer drill.

I have the same drill purchased it here.   Works great, lots of power, two speeds, adjustable clutch for driving screws.  Kit has two batteries and a nice selection of bits and drivers.   Bought mine from Lazada a few years back, do not recall the cost but thought is was a good value for a high quality tool.

IMG_20230613_070309.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

do not recall the cost but thought is was a good value for a high quality tool.

I bought a few fake Makitas on Lazada years back.  Low price and break faster than they should.  If you got genuine stuff you are lucky.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I bought a few fake Makitas on Lazada years back.  Low price and break faster than they should.  If you got genuine stuff you are lucky.

I try to do my research when buying from Lazada and will not even consider prices that just do not seem reasonable.  So far I have not gotten scammed, at least I don't think so.   I just posted a new topic where Department of Trade and Industries is trying to do something about the selling of fake items on Lazada and Shopee.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I try to do my research when buying from Lazada and will not even consider prices that just do not seem reasonable.  So far I have not gotten scammed, at least I don't think so.   I just posted a new topic where Department of Trade and Industries is trying to do something about the selling of fake items on Lazada and Shopee.

I was just browsing the Makita on Lazada and they have several around ~1500 pesos.  Those are not real?  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have the same drill purchased it here.   Works great, lots of power, two speeds, adjustable clutch for driving screws.  Kit has two batteries and a nice selection of bits and drivers.   Bought mine from Lazada a few years back, do not recall the cost but thought is was a good value for a high quality tool.

IMG_20230613_070309.jpg

Looks like the real ones are 14-19 k pesos on Lazada.  Lower priced = only 1 batt.  Last night I went to Handyman and they only had one cordless, and it was Makati.  I think it was only 12 volt, based on the size of the battery attachment bay.  They detach the batteries from displays.  16k pesos.  Very high.

My main hardware store I go is big and has a large selection of Makati.  Is there any way I can verify if they are genuine?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

If you haven't bought yet... think ahead of any other power tools you may want in the future... and get tools that share the same battery... thats common now... but nothing worse than multiple tools with multiple batteries (and chargers).  I prefer Milwaukee but the others mentioned are fine... 

Yes, I had a set of Ryobi I brought from the U.S., with the OnePlus system.  I probably bought them 20 years ago in Florida.  Not a big fan of Ryobi but they were ok.  I think I bought 2 sets if replacement batteries over the years.  Finally, I fried the charger by plugging in to 220.  I gave the whole set to my BIL last year and he fixed the charger, but the batts are still bad and won't hold a charge long.

Anybody had any luck with jump starting old Nicad bats?  Plenty of You Tube videos but it did not work on those batts.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

Before moving to the Philippines I bought a new 18v Makita 1/2 hammer drill.  It really came in handy for projects around the house with all that concrete.  I think it has a 4 amp hr battery and lasts longer than me before needing a recharge.(For what you want I would think 18v min and two 3 amp hr batteries) It is quite big and bulky.

It seems to be difficult to find the larger batts now.  I was looking on Amazon and it seems most are 2.0 MAH.  I did see one Makita with 3.0.  Yes, when doing some jobs, the weight and bulk can be tiring. 

But better yet, if you intend to do a lot of wire wheeling and want to go cordless, my recommendation would be a 4" grinder with a wire wheel.  Also like you mentioned, you will need two batteries because anything non stop use eats the batteries. 

I think I am going to go with your advice and stick with corded for now.  I do have a Stanley 4 inch corded grinder.  Have to see about attaching a wire wheel.  I also have a Bosch corded and a 120 V Craftsman Hammer drill from the U.S.  The Craftsman runs slow on the 110 V from my converters and is very heavy.

If I do go through with the cordless drill, thinking about ordering on Amazon.  Several have free shipping.

For a ladder, consider one of the folding ones if it would fit your needs.  I was surprised how well the one I bought at Ace(8' step or about 16' extension) has held up to my over beefy weight.

I have a 12 foot multi purpose that I am using now, but due to my bad hip, the last step onto the roof is not doable for me.  Ideally, I would get a 12 foot stepladder that would allow me to go up higher then step onto the 8.5 foot roof on our lanai.  Hard to find here though.  Most places only go to 10 ft.  ACE has the 4X5 20 foot multipurpose and 4X4 16 foot on sale.  I have to figure out if those will give me "a leg up"!

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Is there any way I can verify if they are genuine?

The only thing I can suggest is to check the packaging and contents for “official” looking warranty cards etc. Can also see if it shows the country where it was manufactured. I noticed at a shop in Marina a Black & Decker cordless leaf blower that had a label “made in India” on it.  As far as I know they B&D doesn’t have any factories there. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My main hardware store I go is big and has a large selection of Makati.  Is there any way I can verify if they are genuine?

Well, if the text on the machine say Makati, you can be pretty sure it's not genuine 😜.

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

The only thing I can suggest is to check the packaging and contents for “official” looking warranty cards etc. Can also see if it shows the country where it was manufactured. I noticed at a shop in Marina a Black & Decker cordless leaf blower that had a label “made in India” on it.  As far as I know they B&D doesn’t have any factories there. 

I believe you are correct according to this statement from Black and Decker support.

<snip>BLACK + DECKER is a global manufacturer and distributor of power tools. We currently manufacture our tools in the US, Mexico, Brazil, China and the UK. Utilizing all of our facilities to their fullest potential allows us to provide the highest quality tools at competitive prices in the marketplace.<end snip>

• Like 2