Cordless Drills

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Looking for recommendations for a cordless drill that I can purchase locally.  I'm going to do some work on my roof and I will use it for cleaning the area with a wire brush.  I have a corded Bosch but the cord will be a hassle.

Priorities would be:

High speed

Power

2 batteries included a big plus

Does not need to be impact but it could be.  Prefer to keep the weight down though.

Any good experiences to share with the available brands?  I will probably not buy it online.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Bosch 18v. Bought mine from Goldpeak Tools in Manila. I went to the store and it was amazing how many tools go out of there. They do ship.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

Bosch 18v. Bought mine from Goldpeak Tools in Manila. I went to the store and it was amazing how many tools go out of there. They do ship.

I think I have seen DeWalt at a few places.  Handyman?  And Makita.  But.......  Will the major chains have the real thing, or fakes? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think I have seen DeWalt at a few places.  Handyman?  And Makita.  But.......  Will the major chains have the real thing, or fakes? 

I very much doubt that the major chains will be selling fakes.  

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Dau Agri-Industrial Sales on the Dau Access road (just past S&R on left if coming from the expressway). Very good selection of both Bosch and Makita power tools and prices better than the malls. Is where I bought my Bosch 18v (hammer and regular drill); was in a nice tool box and came with two batteries, charger and small selection of good quality bits. 

• Like 1

HappyJack
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Dau Agri-Industrial Sales on the Dau Access road (just past S&R on left if coming from the expressway). Very good selection of both Bosch and Makita power tools and prices better than the malls. Is where I bought my Bosch 18v (hammer and regular drill); was in a nice tool box and came with two batteries, charger and small selection of good quality bits. 

This!!!!!  About the best place to buy stuff like that.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

I've been by there many times and never went in.  I'm planning go over to the area Wednesday or Thursday.  

Have you been to the Marina complex on Macarthur, north of the Dau access road?  Haven't been yet but planning on going there too.

I'm looking for a 12 ft stepladder too.

@HappyJack

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If you haven't bought yet... think ahead of any other power tools you may want in the future... and get tools that share the same battery... thats common now... but nothing worse than multiple tools with multiple batteries (and chargers).  I prefer Milwaukee but the others mentioned are fine... 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Priorities would be:

High speed

Power

I have used cordless tools since they have been out.  Before moving to the Philippines I bought a new 18v Makita 1/2 hammer drill.  It really came in handy for projects around the house with all that concrete.  I think it has a 4 amp hr battery and lasts longer than me before needing a recharge.(For what you want I would think 18v min and two 3 amp hr batteries) It is quite big and bulky.  For most small jobs I find my 12v drill and impact quite adequate.  Now with that said, I too have had needs for using a wire brush in my drill.  Unless it is a very small job that can be done in minutes I would recommend using a corded drill.  But better yet, if you intend to do a lot of wire wheeling and want to go cordless, my recommendation would be a 4" grinder with a wire wheel.  Also like you mentioned, you will need two batteries because anything non stop use eats the batteries.  As far as brand, as others mentioned I would stay with Makita, Bosch, or DeWalt.  Sounds like you are getting into some fun.   For a ladder, consider one of the folding ones if it would fit your needs.  I was surprised how well the one I bought at Ace(8' step or about 16' extension) has held up to my over beefy weight.

Edited by intrepid
addition.
  • Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Have you been to the Marina complex on Macarthur, north of the Dau access road?  

I did look in two stores.  Neither one had the prices marked on most of their products and when I asked about a Black & Decker drill (they make DeWalt btw) it seemed to me that long nose tax was being added. The majority of what I seen there was the cheap Chinese made stuff and some obvious knock off’s of brand names. Simply stated I got a bad feeling that I would be swindled so I left. 

• Like 1