New Car Buying

Heeb
Posted
Posted

We bought a Mitsubishi L300 with a 100k cash discount from 900k in 2021. We got a loan from BDO and it was still considered cash since it was paid by check from the bank. We didn’t pay it off early so I don’t know about the early pay off fees if any. Like someone else posted earlier, the service period is way under what Mitsubishi recommends and is very expensive. I was told if we didn’t do it there it would void the warranty. Both my motorcycles are way under the periodic maintenance recommendation especially the KTM which is triple 15k vs 5k and the onboard computer is set accordingly, maint. light comes on at 5k. I understand this is a harsh climate but both bikes are dual sport and designed for harsh weather. The owners manual does have a disclaimer that local dealers can adjust the period as they deem necessary. Sad thing is you can never find the recommended oil or filter in stick here.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

Highly recommend the Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid (if it's available in the PH) .  
Bought the GR model a 4 weeks ago after having one out on demo for a week, absolutely love it!

Apart from having plenty of 'get and go' it's frugal on petrol. I'm getting around 25km per litre on average. Some great videos available on YouTube about this model in PH and also mentions something about paying less tax because it's a hybrid.

Oh, I said I'd keep in touch!

I was behind one a few months ago and thought it was a very nice design.  Went home and checked the price.  Way over priced in the Philippines, like so many good vehicles.  GR starts at 1.8 mil plus and the specs are nowhere near the U.S. top model, which has 195 hp.  What do they cost in Thailand?

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted

The USA is a 2ltr engine so with the hybrid it has the extra umph! 

The literal Corolla of SUVs will start at $29,305 with a hybrid powertrain for the 2023 model year. The 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid will come in three trim levels and will top out at $35,090 for the top-of-the-line XSE trim with all available options. (1,940,000 peso) 

Top version in Thailand is the GR Sport. (not available in USA) 1,250,000 baht (1,974,500 peso) on the road with class 1 insurance and 35,000 baht free accessories ....dashcams etc.
Philippines and Thailand are 1.8ltr because of tax thresholds and obviously better fuel consumption. 

As for specs:  Apart from the bigger engine they're similar in most aspects. (heated seats not required in the East)

• Like 2

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted

The USA version is a 2 ltr.
'The literal Corolla of SUVs will start at $29,305 with a hybrid powertrain for the 2023 model year. The 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid will come in three trim levels and will top out at $35,090 for the top-of-the-line XSE trim with all available options.'       (1,940,000 peso) 

Top version in Thailand is the GR Sport. (not available in USA) 1,250,000 baht (1,974,500 peso) on the road with class 1 insurance and 35,000 baht free accessories ....dashcams etc.
Philippines and Thailand are 1.8ltr because of tax thresholds and obviously better fuel consumption. 

Specs:   
Similar in most versions (I don't think heated seats are required here!)

My new motor being blessed for safety at the local temple, part of Thai superstition. A Thai won't get in a new car unless it's had the Thai script written on it (washes off) and the good luck band tied around the steering column. (that stays on forever) 

car blessing.jpg

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ThaiWolf said:

My new motor being blessed for safety at the local temple, part of Thai superstition.

Not so different to the Philippines (at least around here), all of the familes cars and motorbikes have been blessed by a local priest (including mine) and most of them have a rosary (or more) on or in them.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ThaiWolf said:

Strange that the HP rating for the 1.8 is so low (96 HP) compared to the 2.0 in the U.S. having 196.  Is that just tuning?

I had a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid rated at 250 hp.  That U.S. Cross must fly with 196,

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, OnMyWay said:

Strange that the HP rating for the 1.8 is so low (96 HP) compared to the 2.0 in the U.S. having 196.  Is that just tuning?

I had a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid rated at 250 hp.  That U.S. Cross must fly with 196,

Actually it's about 140hp .....(98hp is for combustion engine only)

Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 Hybrid Technical Specs, Fuel Consumption, Dimensions (ultimatespecs.com)

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, ThaiWolf said:

Actually it's about 140hp .....(98hp is for combustion engine only)

Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 Hybrid Technical Specs, Fuel Consumption, Dimensions (ultimatespecs.com)

That page has a nice comparison of the 2 engine options.

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-comparator/134104,133780/Toyota-Corolla-Cross-vs-Toyota-Corolla-Cross.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Ummm, they're wrong on the specs about FWD. All hybrid versions are AWD. The GR is awesome with upgraded suspension, tuned steering to feel more responsive and a host of other cosmetic upgrades including leather seats. IMO it's worth the little extra so spoiled myself ... It'll see me out that's for sure.
This is from a USA car magazine:
image.jpeg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

Ummm, they're wrong on the specs about FWD. All hybrid versions are AWD. The GR is awesome with upgraded suspension, tuned steering to feel more responsive and a host of other cosmetic upgrades including leather seats. IMO it's worth the little extra so spoiled myself ... It'll see me out that's for sure.

I think it will be on my short list when I move to the U.S. next year.  The U.S. mid-range model is probably fine for me, but the parking assist on the top model would be good for my wife.  Also have the Camry Hybrid on the list, as well as my fav Hondas.  I will have to see what I can afford when the time comes.

Here are the U.S. specs:

https://www.toyota.com/corollacross/features/mpg_other_price/6312/6314/6316

• Like 1