I'd like to pick up a new scooter in Bohol, but will only be there 3 weeks.

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been reading.  I know you can't drive one until you have OR/CR and all that.  But can I just pay cash and have one dropped off at my house?.  Then have like my brother in law pick up the paperwork later.  Or maybe just have them hold onto the papers until I get there (which might not be for another 16 months)?   I'm looking at just getting something like a Click 125i.  I'd like something with bigger wheels, and the ones with a remote look tempting, but then I end up with them being much more expensive (with remote), or no under seat storage (bigger wheels).  It would just be for running around the province small towns.  I've been to Cebu and Manila enough to know I probably don't even want to drive in Tagbilaran.  But for running to the market and such locally (16km, yes, I am in a very remote place), one would be fun.  

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)

How low class was it of me to vote that post of mine 5 stars? :89:

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I don't know about being dropped off at your house but we paid cash for both scooters and picked them up the next day.

We were told we had to ride them home and then not use them until the papers came... I guess if we'd offered to pay extra the shop could have arranged drop off?

• Like 2

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted

Thank you Sir!  That sounds great!  I read there is some kinda 7 day grace period on paperwork.  I don't have a license for PH.  I just want to get it to my house so I have something to polish and drool over the 2 weeks I'm there.  It would make more sense for me to get a newer one later in 16 months when I actually move there, but nobody ever accused me of having good judgment.  :)

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Joe, if you have a US drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement you're good to go in Philippines. 

• Like 2

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have no endorsement.  I've ridden all my life in USA, never gotten busted for no endorsement.  (Yes, I'm one of those) That should count for something shouldn't it?  Wait, it probably only counts that I'm sneaky and careful  :tongue:  Probably what makes it why I have no desire to ride in big towns in PH also.  

Edited by JoeLansing

Freebie
Posted
Posted

First up, should be easy to ride it home. Wear proper helmet and covered shoes and cops have no reason to bother you..even if they have a roadblock. ( The papers Sir, they are in my house, as I was making copies of them etc etc )

But leaving a bike for 16 months with a bro in law. Check the mileage before you leave it then compare when you return.

Lots and lots of horror stories about things left with pamily. If you know what i mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

I've been to Cebu and Manila enough to know I probably don't even want to drive in Tagbilaran. 

I wouldn't be too worried about riding/driving in Tagbilaran, it only has a listed population of about 120,000 but that includes the greater urban area.  I've been there a couple of times and as much as I don't like driving anywhere here in PI, Tagbileran is one of the easier challenges.  They still have trikes and pedi-trikes and those guys are completely oblivious/willfully ignorant of their surroundings.  I've lost count off the amount of times one has looked me in the eye and pulled out in front of me anyway.  The other danger is younger people in control of scooters/motorbikes with their phones out whilst in motion.  Oh, and people at a T intersection just pulling out in front of you without looking... Anyway, I could go on.  Suffice it to say put your eyes on stalks and keep aware at all times.  

Ford Raptor drivers... Regardless of nationality/gender, they are absolute <insert discriptive profanity of choice here> here.  Now that you've read that you won't be able to unsee it and will understand once you're here. 

Another tip is that however long Google Maps tells you it will take to travel somewhere, add about 50-100% to that depending on the time of day.  For example we only live 120km from Dumaguete so should take us about 90 mins, It generally takes anywhere between 2 and a half to 3 hours. . 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Freebie said:

But leaving a bike for 16 months with a bro in law. Check the mileage before you leave it then compare when you return.
Lots and lots of horror stories about things left with pamily. If you know what i mean.

Thank you for the heads up.  But my 5 brother in laws are ok.  The one who would pick it up has a house on the front of our property.  He's been in Davao doing aircraft engine repair for about a year saving money and doing very well, but will be back soon.  He welded all the big steel trusses for the top of our house.  I sent him a beast of a Harbor Freight welder for free.  Other BIL's are a kinda famous? teacher/soccer coach that built himself a house better than mine near us.  Another is a fisherman out of Cebu we bought a big boat for.  I could do a lot worse for relatives down there.  I think fisherman BIL is like 10th dan Akido?  He wishes he'd never have learned it.  Drunks see him and attack for fun because they know he won't hurt them.  My family down there is ok.  Wife has been helping them a lot for 14 years or so and they won't treat us badly.  They were all raised right.  Dad used to tie them up in a sack, then lay it on an ant hill when they lied or acted badly as kids.  

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1