I'd like to pick up a new scooter in Bohol, but will only be there 3 weeks.

Gator
Posted
Posted

I agree with Guy F, don’t buy one, rent one instead. And since you’re in the province I’d consider something more like a motorcycle as opposed to a scooter as they handle much better. I don’t know about you, but as someone who’s been riding bikes for 50+ years I couldn’t get used to a scooter type. I bought a Honda XL 150 and love it. Put a “Givi” box on the back for extra storage. 

I’d also strongly suggest you get your Mtcy endorsement in the USA. Much easier than getting it here. Get caught driving here without one and they will likely impound your bike. 

As a side note - although I checked in countless stores, I could not find Sta-Bil here, but you can buy it on Lazada. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I agree with Gator, something like a Honda XR150 or a Yamaha XT125 makes more sense in the province but for even less pesos you can buy a Honda XRM125 which is a semi auto step through motorbike.  No clutch so easier for a new rider.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JoeLansing
Posted
Posted
On 6/20/2023 at 5:48 AM, GeoffH said:

I agree with Gator, something like a Honda XR150 or a Yamaha XT125 makes more sense in the province but for even less pesos you can buy a Honda XRM125 which is a semi auto step through motorbike.  No clutch so easier for a new rider.

Thanks for this on the semi auto.  I kept looking at "Underbone" bikes.  I was only seeing cheaper, and nice big province tires, but a manual tranny, and very little under seat storage.  I'm starting to think that buying a bike this 2-3 week trip is dumb.  I can't ride it till I get papers, and I won't return for a year.  So it's gonna sit for a year.  Or I can let my BIL ride it till I retire there in a year.  (he's cool and is currently working on aircraft engine repair in Davao, and I trust him with my stuff).  We'll see if I have an extra $2k or so towards the end of this trip.  You got me looking at semi-auto tranny, and this video was great at explaining it.  I do know how to shift a manual, but I'm getting old and lazy now.   

• Like 2

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted
On 6/19/2023 at 5:31 PM, Gator said:

I’d also strongly suggest you get your Mtcy endorsement in the USA. Much easier than getting it here. Get caught driving here without one and they will likely impound your bike. 

What's my odds of getting stopped for no license out in the province?  Sagbayan Bohol would be like the biggest town I'd be in.  Hmm, I don't know if asking how well bribes work is allowed here :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It would be best to get your endorsement here in the States. I'm unsure the odds of being stopped but I would not be willing to gamble with that.

The forum doesn't condone illegal activity in any way just so you know. We all want to be good guests respect and follow Filipino laws and regulations. Having said that there is no way of knowing what would happen if you were to offer a "settlement" It could very well go badly. I would not take the chance. Play it safe just go ahead and get an endorsement now.

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

What's my odds of getting stopped for no license out in the province?  

I don't know that area but I've been stopped more in the province than I have in the city (there are check points along the highways).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I don't know that area but I've been stopped more in he province than I have in the city (there are check points along the highways).

I agree. In both Angeles and when I lived in Cebu occasionally check were points set up. More often than not they are / were in the same areas. Here in Angeles, perhaps because there are so many foreigners and the police know that by and large we are in compliance with law (proper licenses, paperwork, etc) they don’t seem to harass us too much.  Only once or twice in the past 3 years have I been instructed to pull over. On the other hand I was stopped more often when I riding out in the provinces of Cebu. 

10 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

What's my odds of getting stopped for no license out in the province?  Sagbayan Bohol would be like the biggest town I'd be in.  Hmm, I don't know if asking how well bribes work is allowed here :)

Although it’s been several years since I’ve traveled there, I’m somewhat familiar with the area. My ex gf’s mother and some of her cousins lived in a remote area north of Sagbayan (a resettlement camp funded by the Chinese after the earthquake in 2013). We visited several times and also circumnavigated the island one time on a bike.

I was stopped several times by enforcers for a “paperwork check”. Mostly they were looking for a donation to their Redhorse beer fund. Don’t forget, as a white guy you will always have a target on your back. And as there are fewer white guys in that area the target is substantially larger thereby increasing your odds of getting stopped.  As to what will happen ….. no one can say for sure.  As to what can happen, you’ll pay a fine and the bike you’re riding (whether it’s yours or not) is subject to impoundment.  So as I’ve and others have stared before, why take the chance, it’s best to get your MTCY endorsement and be in compliance with the law. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I don't know that area but I've been stopped more in the province than I have in the city (there are check points along the highways).

When you see a large  group of riders sitting, checking phones not moving, you can be sure 100 metres ahead police are there checking. Its a game... riders hope to out-wait the pulis and visa versa. Always funny to see.

• Like 2