Seashells

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I have been to Luzon, Cebu, Palawan & Leyte islands along with several others.  I have never seen any seashells on the beaches.  I have been wondering if this is typical for the Philippines and if so, anyone have a speculations as to why?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would guess scavengers grab them to sell? 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have found very small shells on my trips to the beaches , not worth picking up , but have found some nice pieces of coral washed up onto the beach 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Found a great many excellent seashells in Bantayan and Siquijor, and some very nice pieces of washed up coral in Puerto Galera.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

They're already in the malls waiting for you to purchase them.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Fishing with dynamite frees up a lot of coral, it happens.

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted

It takes a storm.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

I have never seen any seashells on the beaches.  I have been wondering if this is typical for the Philippines and if so, anyone have a speculations as to why?

The seashells sold in retail stores are harvested alive from the ocean by divers.  You can sometimes find dead ones on beaches, but many have imperfections like a small hole drilled by a predatory creature.  Over harvesting has likewise diminished the supply.  

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the overall success rate is about the same as I had when I tried sport fishing in the Phils.  But I like the idea -- a lot less expensive than sport fishing and I can be with my wife, whose eyes are closer to the ground than mine.  Maybe sneak a fine shell into Boracay.  Drop it on the beach, get the video rolling and pick it up.  Instant YouTube celebrity?  New Boracay tourism ambassador?  

• Haha 3

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

No chance of "finding them" haha. seen Great selections on sale in places like San Juan, El Nido, Pangasinan, Anda, Moalboal, Pundaquit over time as we love uniquely shaped seashells to put with our collection. Best place i ever saw here was in Sabang beach a couple of years ago, outstanding but bloody expensive.

• Like 1