St Gabriel's Medical Centre, Kalibo

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They brought me a breakfast this morning and a packet of Milo but no how water or cup lol. Looking at the food I think they want to keep us here longer. 

Good time to go on a water fast!  Hope the operation went well.  That place certainly seems overpriced!  Was that the only option?

When I was a watcher at my two kids births, my stepdaughter and I both stayed in the Suite room with my wife.  This was Lourdes Hospital in Bario Baretto.  Decent place but not fancy.  Extra bed and sofa bench was ok.  But meals for the patient and only one watcher, which was fine with me.  They had a small cafeteria where you could get a few light things during the day, and I ran out for fast food a few times.  This was 2014 and 2016, and I think the room was only 3k+, and later, a Philhealth discount too.

When I was a patient for 2 nights at Medical City Clark, that room was really nice, but included only one bench for the watcher.  However, they kindly brought in a second bench, and didn't mind if we brought in a bunch of stuff, and my kids slept on the floor!  So there were 5 of us in the room, and that room was quite a bit less than 5000, if I recall.  Can't remember the food, but there are plenty of food options right across the street.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Suppose you figured out by now to bring food in from outside, even McDonald's give you plastic utensils. Having visited hospitals here my main concern is cleanliness and sterilization. The average provincial  hospital here reminds me of CSH [combat surgical hospitals] without the sanitation protocols. Hopefully even before minor surgery your partner got a dose of broad spectrum antibiotic.

Hope things work out well.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Bread, egg and mystery meat.

Anyone has a photograph of what the hospital looks like from the outside?

This photo was probably taken when it was new, it looks pretty run down, tears in the floor coverings, dusty, stains running down the walls and all the areas where admin is done looks like someone just threw the paperwork and if it landed on a flat surface just left it. 

I had to take samples from a biopsy to another hospital as this one never had the facilities. Total cost 5.4k and will take a month. :ohmy:

The op was for my partner following an ultrasound of her ovaries and knowing the Philippines I convinced her to get two scans from two different places, true to form two different results. They operated on what they found from the second scan but as I'm still not convinced I'm going to get a third scan in a few months elsewhere.

The Obe Gyno came recommended from my partner's friend but I'm under the impression she just thinks the Obe is good as she doesn't know any better. 

Screenshot_2023-06-28-10-20-40-27_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Last month I did a 10-day stint in hospital. Yes Snowy, bring your own everything. My wife knew the procedure and we booked in the second-grade accommodation, nothing special but it did have a bed for the wife, and she bought a jug for boiling water. Everything else was bought in, takeaways and anything else, you can't eat their food. If you go into hospital, be prepared to fork out for a covid test, no arguments, you can't make sense of their billing, so don't try, and some-one has to stay with you all the time. There not like the Western hospitals so be prepared and one thing in their favor, a lot more come out the front door after being in there than people going out the back door.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

It might be worth your time to go the extra 2-3 hours to Roxas City to the East, or  4-5 to the South down to Iloilo City..... With much larger populations and a greater number of medical facilities to choose from. More likely to have a bit better quality to offer. Bahala ka.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, manofthecoldland said:

It might be worth your time to go the extra 2-3 hours to Roxas City to the East, or  4-5 to the South down to Iloilo City..... With much larger populations and a greater number of medical facilities to choose from. More likely to have a bit better quality to offer. Bahala ka.

We were pretty much limited due to time constraints unfortunately and the pain my partner was in. There is a very modern hospital in Kalibo but we went on a recommendation for a particular Obe Gyno, a case of she did consulting at one hospital, operates in a different hospital and uses the laboratory of yet another. Very few hospitals do everything under one roof it appears.

Less urgent treatments I'd certainly go the extra distance. The saving grace was she got operated on first thing give or take an hour of Filipino time and released that evening.  

In Manila hospitals everything was provided so now I'm more prepared for provincial style hospitals. 

• Like 4