Electrolyte water versus plain water for older adults

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, jimeve said:

Can't drop salt I need it to stay alive.

We all do,  the problem isn't too little, it's too much.

Sodium is found naturally in a variety of foods, such as milk, meat and shellfish. It is often found in high amounts in processed foods such as breads, crackers, processed meats and snack foods (23-26). High amounts of sodium are also found in many condiments (e.g. soy and fish sauces) (23). Thus, a diet high in processed foods and low in fresh fruits and vegetables is often high in sodium (24, 26). Although the minimum intake level necessary for proper bodily function is not well defined, it is estimated to be as little as 200–500 mg/day (18, 27). Data from around the world suggest that the population average sodium consumption is well above the minimal physiological needs, and in many countries is above the value recommended by the 2002 Joint World Health Organization/Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (WHO/ FAO) Expert Consultation (12) of 2 g sodium/day (equivalent to 5 g salt/day)  - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK133290/

22 hours ago, jimeve said:

Have you got links to the fact that Himalayan salt is a scam.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=himalayan+salt+is+a+scam

• Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 7/4/2023 at 9:44 AM, jimeve said:

Can't drop salt I need it to stay alive.

Have you got links to the fact that Himalayan salt is a scam.

This guy is my go to for nutritional information as he links to actual studies. 

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSLDVanGH/

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Sodium is found naturally in a variety of foods, such as milk, meat and shellfish. It is often found in high amounts in processed foods such as breads, crackers, processed meats and snack foods (23-26). High amounts of sodium are also found in many condiments (e.g. soy and fish sauces) (23). Thus, a diet high in processed foods and low in fresh fruits and vegetables is often high in sodium (24, 26). Although the minimum intake level necessary for proper bodily function is not well defined, it is estimated to be as little as 200–500 mg/day (18, 27). Data from around the world suggest that the population average sodium consumption is well above the minimal physiological needs, and in many countries is above the value recommended by the 2002 Joint World Health Organization/Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (WHO/ FAO) Expert Consultation (12) of 2 g sodium/day (equivalent to 5 g salt/day)  - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK133290/

I don't eat most of those, already posted I'm on a LOW CARB DIET.

Last time I had blood and urine test I had low sodium (SALT) Maybe I was drinking to much water at the time. hyponatremia

Hyponatremia - Symptoms, causes, treatment

Hyponatremia occurs when the concentration of sodium in your blood is abnormally low. Sodium is an electrolyte, and it helps regulate the amount of water that's in and around your cells.

In hyponatremia, one or more factors — ranging from an underlying medical condition to drinking too much water — cause the sodium in your body to become diluted. When this happens, your body's water levels rise, and your cells begin to swell. This swelling can cause many health problems, from mild to life-threatening.

Hyponatremia treatment is aimed at resolving the underlying condition. Depending on the cause of hyponatremia, you may simply need to cut back on how much you drink. In other cases of hyponatremia, you may need intravenous electrolyte solutions and medications.

5. Not Salting Your Food Enough

With people consuming more sodium than ever in a diet rich in processed food, you’re probably not used to hearing the call to eat more salt. But on keto, it’s necessary. “As ketones build up in the body, they are excreted from the body through urine, which takes water and sodium out with it,” says Tucci. In addition, you may be getting much less table salt (which is composed of 40 percent sodium and 60 percent chloride, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC]) now that you’ve kicked out the top source of salt in the standard American diet: packaged, processed foods, including bread, chips, crackers, and snack mixes, per the CDC. (There are a host of packaged keto foods now; though they should not play a large role in your diet, they can help you stay on track with your macro counts in a convenient way. If you’re eating these, check the sodium content on the label.) “Chances are if you’re following a ketogenic diet you may need to prepare most, if not all, of your own meals and snacks from scratch, so simply season with salt.

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

What about Celtic Salt?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Old55 said:

For Expats this may be a good way to better hydrate in the hot climate. Although there is something to be said for drinking beer throughout the day. :7500:

To remain hydrated, calculate your total fluid intake to stay within the guidelines and check the color of your pee.  There is a color chart available online to indicate whether you are over hydrated or dehydrated.  The color changes depending on time of day so just mentally do an average.  Large amounts of alcohol can dehydrate.  Take that into consideration.  Electrolyte drinks are necessary if you have rapid fluid loss like being engaged in sports.  Otherwise, it is an unnecessary additional expense.  

Edited by JJReyes

longway
Posted
Posted

I've been having severe muscle cramps at night in my legs. Based on the feedback I read here, yesterday I took a big glass of water and added "LiquidIV Hydration Multiplier" powder from Costco. It's a Non-GMO Electrolyte Drink Mix. No leg cramps last night. So far so good. Thanks for the info!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Large amounts of alcohol can dehydrate.

Also coffee or other beverages containing caffeine. 

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 7/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, jimeve said:

I don't eat most of those

Try roasted chicken Filipino style, enough sodium for a week.

• Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Try roasted chicken Filipino style, enough sodium for a week.

I have, washed down with copious amount of Tanduay. :shooter:

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2023 at 7:03 AM, Old55 said:

I've ordered ingredients to roll my own. Am curious if it will benefit my wife and I. 

For Expats this may be a good way to better hydrate in the hot climate. Although there is something to be said for drinking beer throughout the day. 

For anyone interested, here are the electrolytes I have tried, that I bought overseas on Iherb or Amazon.  I have also used the small sachets you can get at the drug stores here, when I needed something right away.  I am very careful about dehydration since I had a severe event back in 2020.  And now that I don't eat much carbs, same as @jimeve, I get night cramps if I don't get enough electrolytes.  Especially true if I work outside in the hot sun, which I do for exercise.

Most recently, I tried the Nutricost.  Seems good and the cost is reasonable.  Some of the powders do not dissolve easily and clump up.  This dissolves well.  I have some other Nutricost vitamins and they seem good too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPDYZYJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Flyby was my favorite last year but they have been out of stock until recently, and the price jumped up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T6BKXYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think Hydromins was clumpy and they have been out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PLM1478/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sierra fits tends to clump

https://ph.iherb.com/pr/sierra-fit-electrolyte-powder-mixed-berry-10-8-oz-306-g/96974

I will continue with Nutricost unless something changes.

• Thanks 2