what is the hold of PH on these guys?

Besides the women?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

I said I'd keep in touch!

I can't believe that it's about a year since I left PH and returned to Thailand with my tail between my legs!
For those that remember, I was in Iloilo with a wonderful gal for a month but although she was great and my limited experience of PH was unforgettable, the calling of Thailand was greater than anticipated.

TBH, I've not had any regrets and only positive things have come my way since returning. I often read about the trials and tribulations of ex-pats, some with many years experience of living in the PH and wonder to myself; what is the hold of PH on these guys? A good friend moved lock, stock and barrel to Davao City about 6 months ago and finds it hard going with immigration, food and the abundant beggars according to him. He would've returned but committed to a 'new life with a new wife' so is sticking it out ..... Good for him! 

Something I will mention, (probably get some flak over this) is that I noticed it's mainly USA'ers in PH and very few Scandinavians from what I experienced and have read, whereas it seems the opposite in Thailand with the exception of the Bangkok area. Is it due to the language barrier? The Brits seem to be able to settle almost anywhere but will always complain!

Got to admit, as I've said previously, the air is cleaner in PH and the people are more friendly but it's certainly harder to stay there long-term and the food ..... Let's just say it's rather on the bland side!  

Anyways, glad to see the familiar forumites are still posting and I will keep praising Thailand vs The Philippines until I'm banned! lol

I do miss the cheap booze, Red Horse beer and that Tanduay rum! Oh well.

I've never lived in Thailand but have visited on and off for 25+ years.  I can definitely see why it would be more attractive than the Philippines for a tourist - for living I can't comment but am not surprised to hear your comments.  End of the day, I'm here because my wife is (perhaps the same as many of us on this forum).

Enjoy and stay healthy and happy! 

• Like 1

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted

Thailand Elite Membership Packages (thailandelitevisas.com)    Only for the wealthy! 

I won't go in to the fine details but simply:

If you want to visit Thailand then enter on visa exempt for 30 days free (can be extended for 30 days)
If you want a longer stay then a Non 0 visa for 3 months cost 1900 baht (can be extended for 30 days)
This visa can also be used for a permission to stay on the basis of marriage (400,000 baht in the bank or monthly income of 40,000 Baht)
or retirement (800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income.)  To do the retirement extension is painless and minimal paperwork is involved after the initial 12 month extension.    Cost of both is 1900 Baht renewable every year.

On these 2 extensions a 90 day report to your local immigration is required BUT it can be done online in seconds.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

I stayed away from Thailand for two reasons, both anecdotes from other expats.  One story is that the over 65 crowd gets favorable treatment in Philippines and not so much in Thailand.  The other story is that people who only speak English will have trouble in Thailand, whereas the Filipinos will try very hard to communicate in English.

Can you comment on those points?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

For me, I prefer Thai to Pinoy food but my Filipina can prepare some Thai dishes and pretty much anything else I ask for.  I struggle mightily with Tagalog and Visayan and Thai, but I don't need any of those in the Philippines, even without the help of my Filipina.  And didn't when I was single.

Filipinos like my sense of humor, and treat me warmly.  Thais have rarely been impolite, but they aren't a warm and welcoming group, aside from those paid to be welcoming to foreigners, at least for me.  

Regarding Scandinavian Expats:  I had thought that the Scandinavian expat population in Thailand was centered in Hua Hin, but I might well be out of date.  Their number appears to be rapidly shrinking.  https://www.expatsblog.com/news/0207199263/increasing-numbers-of-nordic-expats-are-leaving-thailand   Americans vastly outnumber Scandinavian retirees in Thailand, and if I'm not mistaken, so do Filipino retirees.

It's good to hear from you, having done your share of traveling in SE Asia before making your choice.  It's such a personal decision, based on so many different factors.  Please continue to praise Thailand, because . . .

We look forward to returning to Thailand, and visiting locations beyond previous trips to Bangkok, Koh Samui, Hua Hin, and Chang Mai.  My wife wants more Thai cooking lessons.  And I want more Thai massages from the folks who invented it.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

retirement (800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income.)

These funds are required to be in a Thai bank?