Thailand vs The Philippines (Again)

Gator
Posted
Posted

Here in Angeles I’m paying right around 14.5 pesos per KWH. Oddly on the bill there is a line for a senior discount and even though the owner is a senior the discount isn’t given. She says they refuse to give it due to recovering losses from Covid. 

• Hmm thinking 2

• 7 months later...
Gutenberg
Posted
Posted

There's also another side. I have lived 8+ years in Thailand and are currently back in the EU but will move to the Phillipines soon.

Why? Thailand recent changes with taxes on foreigners and the impossibility getting a long term visa (with which you can plan more than just a couple of months) for the under 40/50 yo's makes it very hard to choose Thailand. I am trying to tell me that "if the visa situation weren't so bad in Thailand I would move back to Thailand" but reality is, the visa situation is part of Thailand and this makes it undesirable for me.

Yeah sure, there is the Elite visa for 900,000 THB for 5 years or 1,5 million THB for 10 years. 5 years wouldn't get me close to 50 years of age which is needed for the retirement visa. So, I would have to choose 1,5 million THB. For that money I can buy a new AMG c43 in Germany. It's out of the question. Not doing it.

So the only real option is another country, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mynamar, Indonesia, Phillipines. And the Phillipines are the only country allowing me to stay for a very long time as under 40 yo. And having no taxes for foreigners is another big win. What I already understand is that it's a bit more difficult to connect to other expats in the Phillipines because it just does not have the amount as Thailand has. In Thailand I always met friends and a lot of new acquaintance by just simply hanging out somewhere.

I really hope that I am going to enjoy the Phillipines as much as I think I will, otherwise I end up paying the Elite visa anyway. :mellow:

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gutenberg said:

What I already understand is that it's a bit more difficult to connect to other expats in the Phillipines because it just does not have the amount as Thailand has. In Thailand I always met friends and a lot of new acquaintance by just simply hanging out somewhere.

Welcome to the forum. 

I was just at a cafe and struck up a conversation with an older American guy who was telling me the same thing about the visa situation in Thailand. He’s also in the process of moving here. 

As far as making new friends here, it depends in part on the area you decide to settle in. In Angeles there’s quite a few expats living here, albeit most are older retirees. Same with Cebu city. There are quite a few I’ve run into in AC who are from Germany and Austria (back in the 80’s/early 90’s I lived in Germany for almost 10 years and still speak passable German). Anyhow, good luck with your move here. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

For that money I can buy a new AMG c43 in Germany.

Not following??  1.5 million THB is 38,709 Euros.  You can buy a new AMG C43 for that much?

38,709 for 10 years is a lot but might be ok for some.  Is that a working visa?

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

Welcome to the forum.

I was just at a cafe and struck up a conversation with an older American guy who was telling me the same thing about the visa situation in Thailand. He’s also in the process of moving here.

As far as making new friends here, it depends in part on the area you decide to settle in. In Angeles there’s quite a few expats living here, albeit most are older retirees. Same with Cebu city. There are quite a few I’ve run into in AC who are from Germany and Austria (back in the 80’s/early 90’s I lived in Germany for almost 10 years and still speak passable German). Anyhow, good luck with your move here. 

Thanks.

As far as the "older American guy" goes, once age 50, there shouldn't be an issue getting a visa for Thailand. The retirement visa requirements haven't changed for decades, and even if you don't have the 800,000 THB funds, there are still visa agents who can sort that stuff out.

I am confident in speaking English, so the language barrier isn't a huge issue, even though I have noticed it's more difficult for me to be in a group full of Australians, Englishmen, and Americans. :laugh:

I will take a look at a few locations. Angeles City as well, but I kinda have the feeling that's not what I want for a permanent / long-term stay. Also, the shacks offered on Airbnb in AC all start at around $1000 a month, which in comparison to Thailand is super ridicolous. Cebu City is top on my list, and I will spend a few months there.

• Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Not following??  1.5 million THB is 38,709 Euros.  You can buy a new AMG C43 for that much?

38,709 for 10 years is a lot but might be ok for some.  Is that a working visa?

Okay, you're right. You can buy a good 2nd hand AMG C43 Coupe for that amount :laugh:

I wasn't seriously comparing that to a car, I just find the amount ridiculous, or generally, that someone would have to pay to stay in a country and compare that to Germany where everybody and the entire family can come and get money from the social welfare system for free.

If I don't like the Phillipines I will probably just pay the fee to be allowed to stay in Thailand for 10 years.

No, it's just a tourist visa, no working allowed.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

Okay, you're right. You can buy a good 2nd hand AMG C43 Coupe for that amount :laugh:

I wasn't seriously comparing that to a car, I just find the amount ridiculous, or generally, that someone would have to pay to stay in a country and compare that to Germany where everybody and the entire family can come and get money from the social welfare system for free.

If I don't like the Phillipines I will probably just pay the fee to be allowed to stay in Thailand for 10 years.

No, it's just a tourist visa, no working allowed.

If I had not fallen in love and began a family here, I would choose Thailand over the Philippines without a second thought.   Infrastructure, culture, FOOD, cleanliness, attitude, efficiency, service etc.

Edited by craftbeerlover

Gator
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

Also, the shacks offered on Airbnb in AC all start at around $1000 a month, which in comparison to Thailand is super ridicolous. Cebu City is top on my list, and I will spend a few months there.

Not sure if you’ve ever visited here yet or not, but don’t go by AirBnB. In AC there are plenty of furnished apartels and apartments for rent that are well under 1k USD a month. Although it’s been a several years since I’ve rented by the month in Cebu I’m sure there are still many there as well. Boots on the ground is the best way to find something that’ll suit your needs and budget. 

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Welcome to a great info site Gutenberg :cheers:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2024 at 6:52 PM, Gutenberg said:

There's also another side. I have lived 8+ years in Thailand and are currently back in the EU but will move to the Phillipines soon.

Why? Thailand recent changes with taxes on foreigners and the impossibility getting a long term visa (with which you can plan more than just a couple of months) for the under 40/50 yo's makes it very hard to choose Thailand. I am trying to tell me that "if the visa situation weren't so bad in Thailand I would move back to Thailand" but reality is, the visa situation is part of Thailand and this makes it undesirable for me.

Yeah sure, there is the Elite visa for 900,000 THB for 5 years or 1,5 million THB for 10 years. 5 years wouldn't get me close to 50 years of age which is needed for the retirement visa. So, I would have to choose 1,5 million THB. For that money I can buy a new AMG c43 in Germany. It's out of the question. Not doing it.

So the only real option is another country, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mynamar, Indonesia, Phillipines. And the Phillipines are the only country allowing me to stay for a very long time as under 40 yo. And having no taxes for foreigners is another big win. What I already understand is that it's a bit more difficult to connect to other expats in the Phillipines because it just does not have the amount as Thailand has. In Thailand I always met friends and a lot of new acquaintance by just simply hanging out somewhere.

I really hope that I am going to enjoy the Phillipines as much as I think I will, otherwise I end up paying the Elite visa anyway. :mellow:

Foreigners not working here, you mean surely?