Thoughts of back home

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering do you expats watch or read about things happening back where you use to call home and think to yourself I’m glad I’m not there anymore or maybe you have family back there and it worries you what the future may hold for them or you could not be interested.

• I'm Confused 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's only after leaving the UK that I realised that life there is not as bad as many think.  

Brings to mind an old saying, "The grass is not always greener on the other side."   Or as my pappy used to say, "The grass may be greener, but it still needs mowed!"

Edited by intrepid
spelling
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I stay in touch with my kids and the rest of the immediate family regularly.  Some friends I've know for years as well.  I watch the Aussie news 2-3 times a week and that's it.  

Been here just on 18 months now and despite the little frustrations not a single regret. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I stay in touch with my kids and the rest of the immediate family regularly.  Some friends I've know for years as well.  I watch the Aussie news 2-3 times a week and that's it.  

Been here just on 18 months now and despite the little frustrations not a single regret. 

We cannot wait to make the permanent move out of the states, it has become the armpit of the world!:sad:

• Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

We cannot wait to make the permanent move out of the states, it has become the armpit of the world!:sad:

Really? There must be other places that are worthier of being called the armpit of the world if people are constantly flooding into the USA at the southern border. 

border.jpg

• Like 2

starrt
Posted
Posted

Yes, I keepe up on the news from back in Canada, no, I do think to myself that I am glad to not be there anymore.

It is what it is, good, bad, indifferent.

My life is here in the Philippines.

What happens in Canada, politics, etc, is just what it is.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

Being outside the US with a detached, objective observer perspective makes it much easier to notice the war against the host population. Being online it was nothing but fun when Former President won, hopefully next year it happens again.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Will be 10 years in October for me.  I stay in touch with my family and close friends via email.   I have not returned for a visit and really have no plans to visit.  I would need to fly business class due to previous back surgeries.   The expense of a trip and limited circle of family and friends that are left would not really justify a trip in my opinion.  I do follow the US news via the web. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Will be 10 years in October for me.  I stay in touch with my family and close friends via email.   I have not returned for a visit and really have no plans to visit.  I would need to fly business class due to previous back surgeries.   The expense of a trip and limited circle of family and friends that are left would not really justify a trip in my opinion.  I do follow the US news via the web. 

Very similar for me - I haven't made a trip home for about 12 years now, and no plans to. My father passed away in March and that was the 1st time I had to give serious thought to it but decided not to as I would have had to go alone.  I keep in touch with my family rather than the reverse but that's ok, it's always been that way.  The only friend I keep in touch with from 'home' emails 2/3 times a year and is probably slightly more proactive than me - I had an email from him last week funnily enough and I was literally going to email him this week to wish him a happy birthday.  We've been buddies for 53 years now.  

• Like 1