Thoughts of back home

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Really? There must be other places that are worthier of being called the armpit of the world if people are constantly flooding into the USA at the southern border. 

border.jpg

That photo op is just one piece of the smell puzzle.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I have to admit I think about proper grocery stores often. A whole aisle  dedicated to craft beers, steaks, bacon, deli, chips, fresh salsa! Trips to the store here are depressing. An expat acquaintance told me that S&R was just like Costco. So I hauled azz to Pampanga, I was so exited. What a disappointment, not even close other than the layout.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Heeb said:

I have to admit I think about proper grocery stores often. A whole aisle  dedicated to craft beers, steaks, bacon, deli, chips, fresh salsa! Trips to the store here are depressing. An expat acquaintance told me that S&R was just like Costco. So I hauled azz to Pampanga, I was so exited. What a disappointment, not even close other than the layout.

I agree with you on S&R or any other stores aimed at expats like Bel Cris in Dumaguete; completely underwhelming but better than the local supermarkets for things like meat, cheese etc.  Other than red meat, I've learnt to substitute.  I've never been a big red meat eater but I do like a decent steak or bit of lamb (damn, I miss slow cooked lamb shanks, chops or cutlets) every now and then.  Thankfully there's a couple of restaurants not too far from us that have the steak covered but no dead baby sheep anywhere. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

completely underwhelming but better than the local supermarkets for things like meat, cheese etc.

I don't think I would be nearly as successful on my low carb dieting if were not for S&R.  I go every 2-3 weeks to stock up on beef steaks, frozen hamburger, bacon, cheese, Kerrygold butter, unsweetened greek yogurt, sausage etc.  I get folgers when in stock.  Once in while some berries or nuts.  We buy TP, paper towels and detergent there too.  Dropped 13k last Thursday on the those low carb things.  Expensive but a must for me.

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I went back to England two years ago in summer. just for a few weeks. Saw sisters and daughters and did some walking in Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.

Loved it...went back last year  for a longer period, same walking. going back this year for two months .I havent lived in UK for basically 40 years and im really appreciating some of scenery and the natural wonders Only stay in small villages aside from trips to London to see my kids.. London is always such a great place to walk in.

If this years trip is good in terms of airbnbs in remote villages, prices  ( which these days arent any different to Manila except for gas for the car ) , and my general feeling, I may go for 3 months next year. Im happy that at 66 I really dont know where I wish to end up...the beauty of not knowing.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Freebie said:

I went back to England two years ago in summer. just for a few weeks. Saw sisters and daughters and did some walking in Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.

Loved it...went back last year  for a longer period, same walking. going back this year for two months .I havent lived in UK for basically 40 years and im really appreciating some of scenery and the natural wonders Only stay in small villages aside from trips to London to see my kids.. London is always such a great place to walk in.

If this years trip is good in terms of airbnbs in remote villages, prices  ( which these days arent any different to Manila except for gas for the car ) , and my general feeling, I may go for 3 months next year. Im happy that at 66 I really dont know where I wish to end up...the beauty of not knowing.

Sounds wonderful and the freedom of choices you have too, 

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Possum said:

But it is time to go home.

Brought my Filipina wife to the US four years ago.  We're both glad we came.  And we'll be happy when we return to the Phils in September.  My friends and family all live far apart here, so the calls and emails and video chats that we use now will keep on happening, just with me in a different time zone.

Edited by mountainside
  • Like 5