Slowest Internet speed in the World

BLM
Posted
Posted

There hasn't been any improvement in the last 8 or 9 years, so I think this will be the way it will be. In the past, when we called the tech, it would speed up while they are at the house, then slows back down after they leave. I think they sell twice as much bandwidth as they have here in the Subic area. On the weekends when all the kids get on, it's nearly stopped.

This is normal:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BLM said:

There hasn't been any improvement in the last 8 or 9 years, so I think this will be the way it will be. In the past, when we called the tech, it would speed up while they are at the house, then slows back down after they leave. I think they sell twice as much bandwidth as they have here in the Subic area. On the weekends when all the kids get on, it's nearly stopped.

This is normal:

Speaking just from my experience - I came here 8 years and we had copper connection under 1mbps.  Since then we have periodically upgraded as and when available and now get fiber at 500 mbps.

Have you enquired about upgrading plan?

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Here's the results on a global level.  PI is surprisingly high on fixed landline services compared to many more developed countries: 

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index

I couldn't post a screenshot as the list is about 180 entries/countries long. 

We get the 100mbs up and down that we pay for at rate well over the legislated 80% service guarantee.  For the first couple of months here I ran an outage checker in the background 24/7 and it never went below 98% for any given month except on one occasion and that was down to the electricity provider having an extended outage.  Most companies I've worked for would be over the moon to exceed a KPI regularly by such an amount.  I know people on 500mbs plans and some areas are now offering 1gig services.  Much better than my country of origin unless you live in a high population density electorate.   

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, BLM said:

This is normal:

That is not normal.  Exactly where are you in Subic, who is your provider, what is your service and promised speed?

I live in Subic Freeport and have been using PLDT Fibr for around 8 years.  Generally speaking, it has been great.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I read Starlink is now available in the Philippines.  While expensive, it might offer the solution if you are in a remote area.

A neighbor just got his Starlink equipment but has not installed it yet.  When he does, I will ask him about it.  He is building a new house in Poroc and I think that is where he is installing it.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I first came to the Philippines 6 years ago I was struggling to get 2 to 3 MBps and the choices were slow ADSL or slow 3G (or occasionally unreliable 4G).

Now we've got 120Mb fiber (and we could have 500Mb fiber if I wanted it) and I get 5G on my phone at up to 80 MBps.

And I get the fiber with 130 TV channels (ok not many good ones haha) for less than the cost of a stand alone 50MBps connection in Australia and uptime on the link is as good, if not better, than Oz as well.

It's really not too bad for internet here, the overseas links can get pretty busy in the evenings which is about the worst that happens (that happens in Oz too though).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a side note, I am shopping for AirBnbs in Kuala Lumpur right now and they all have fast internet.  100 mbps is the slow ones, many have 500.  AirBnbs are really cheap in KL and Penang, compared to Philippines.  The infrastructure in Malaysia seem far better than PH.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/13/2023 at 4:52 PM, BLM said:

There hasn't been any improvement in the last 8 or 9 years,

This might be the case where you live but not in Cebu City. I got Globe installed a week ago in a unit I manage. Meant to be 200mbps but getting 270 up and down. Fiber that is.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I installed Starlink.  Speed varies but always over 100mps.

• Like 2