Economic Abuse

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I received an email last night from a friend in the Philippines requesting for support.  He has been criminally accused under Republic Act 9262, also known as the "Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004".  His former girlfriend worked at a call center about 4 years ago.  After a short period of cohabitation, he told his girlfriend to quit her job and replaced the income with a monthly stipend of P25,000.  Since then, he has found someone else to love.  The criminal accusation is based on economic abuse.  The claim is being away for so long from her work at a call center makes it difficult to find employment.  In addition to a potential jail sentence, her lawyer is asking for P75,000 to P100,000 support to replace the monthly stipend, food and housing expenses.  Her lawyer has also petitioned the court for a "hold departure order" to compel the BI to prevent his departure until the criminal case is resolved.  

This is worse than a contested American divorce case! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

My first thought was where did this poor woman get money to pay an attorney? Seems like this would be harder to collect than child support which is almost never successful but is also covered under a RA.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In addition to the above Filipina Pea vlog, there is a Philippine Law website that mentioned that there are other complaints filed against foreigners under Republic Act 9262.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

My first thought was where did this poor woman get money to pay an attorney? Seems like this would be harder to collect than child support which is almost never successful but is also covered under a RA.

I never met my friend's earlier girlfriend.  I believe the stipend was for her clothes, cosmetics and restaurant money when meeting with her friends.  She could have accumulated a large savings account if frugal because meals and housing were already covered.  The help requested is not money.  His defense lawyer is asking for letters attesting to his good character and known generosity.  More likely (my speculation), there will be a lump sum monetary, out of court settlement like P1.5 million, so her lawyer might be working on a contingency basis.

It is still a cautionary tale for expats.  This 2004 law applies to any sexual relationship irregardless of marital status.

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)

"a monthly stipend"????!!!!!!!  Wonder what he would say if it was his daughter getting the "stipend"?  

Edited by Joey G
correction
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

"a monthly stipend"????!!!!!!!  Wonder what he would say if it was his daughter getting the "stipend"?  

Stipend, allowance, gift money or whatever you want to call it.  My guess the amount was meant to replace what she was earning with the call center.  I think he never anticipated the arrangement could backfire if or when the relationship ended.  Lawyers are smart and they talk among themselves.  They found a way to go after foreigners who ditch their gf.  By the way, the law also applies to male Filipinos.

Edited by JJReyes

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Many countries recognise common law relationships in law and treat them the same as marriage, including for the purposes of immigration. 

I find it interesting that PI doesn't recognise common law relationships in many respects but does for this. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I actually like it.  Too many times I have seen foreigners find a gf and get her to quit a good job, (be her standards), only to dump her a few months later.  I NEVER asked a girl to quit her job and I think it is selfish to do so.  (MHO only).

I agree with you Dave it's a fair law. 

Yea, a few Filipinas will attempt to exploit this and force the Foreigner to flee the country to avoid being charged.

Doubtful it has any effect for members here.

Edited by Old55