How are chicken fights run?

Possum
Posted
Posted

I worked and lived in various places where they held cock fights. Attended a few with friends. But I would no sooner go to a cock fight in the Philippines than I would go to a 1AM karaoke session and start singing "My Way".

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I hope , if you go that your kids know what to expect. The blade spurs  on the cocks legs are lethal..lots of blood and then of course one or two dead birds that are picked up unceremoniously, taken away and the next two contenders come in strut their stuff, make normal cock noise and the battle begins anew.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Freebie said:

I hope , if you go that your kids know what to expect. The blade spurs  on the cocks legs are lethal..lots of blood and then of course one or two dead birds that are picked up unceremoniously, taken away and the next two contenders come in strut their stuff, make normal cock noise and the battle begins anew.

There were definitely more than one or two killed at the fight I saw.  I would estimate that between 1/3 and 1/2 of the fights resulted in a death.  In one fight both birds were killed.  What I found fascinating was watching the guy outside the ring who was doctoring the birds that were wounded.  He would tuck the birds head under his armpit and pull feathers from around the wound, the feather would just be flying.  Then he would rapidly stich up the cut(s), give the bird a shot of antibiotic, and hand the bird back to the owner.  I was not able see how much was paid to the guy who patched up the roosters, but he was definitely being kept busy.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

The blade spurs  on the cocks legs are lethal

I've only ever been to the cock fights in Indonesia and was going to ask if the blades were used here in PI as well.  Now I know.

It's not a place I'd take kids given my Indonesian experience; blood, money, tempers running high, machismo and alcohol are all a combination that can turn into a dangerous situation fast.  You have to wonder if the steroids the roosters are injected with are used by the owners....

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

You have to wonder if the steroids the roosters are injected with are used by the owners...

Usually the loser will convert it into a form of tinola....and so the steroids and whatever other chemicals the cock has ingested, goes into those who consume said dead bird.  Yuck.....

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Y'all have dissuaded me from ever attending a cock fight, but

I really want one of those tee shirts pictured in the OP.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Y'all have dissuaded me from ever attending a cock fight, but

I really want one of those tee shirts pictured in the OP.

Inaccurate.  Common rooster since the one depicted is not wearing a blade.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted