How are chicken fights run?

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)

I plan on taking my teen kids to the Sagbayan Bohol chicken fight arena on a Sunday.  How do I bet on one?  Is there a typical amount?  It's way out in the province, but quite the place and is even on Google Maps    https://www.google.com/maps/@9.9097972,124.0949437,184m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu     I even bought a shirt to wear to it.

chicken-shirt.jpg

Edited by JoeLansing

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Cockpits arent really a place for kids. Bets are easy, guys all around, usually on two sides of the cockpit  who take bets.. as I recall the bet is "wala something " for betting on one cock ( they arent chickens, and are bred to be aggressive  ) and again I forget what it is for the opposing cock. Went a few times, won some lost some ....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Cockpits arent really a place for kids. Bets are easy, guys all around, usually on two sides of the cockpit  who take bets.. as I recall the bet is "wala something " for betting on one cock ( they arent chickens, and are bred to be aggressive  ) and again I forget what it is for the opposing cock. Went a few times, won some lost some ....

I would never go to a cockpit.  If I did, it would be with several Filipino guy friends.  A building full of drunk Filipino lower class provincial men, walking around with a $ sign on your head, does not seem safe.  Seems like a good place to get rolled in the parking lot.

• Like 5

Lee
Posted
Posted

Cockfights---being illegal in a lot of places---often get raided if the money hasn't reached the right hands.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

How do I bet on one?  Is there a typical amount?

If you want to bet the underdog to win more, tell the guy "biya".   To bet the favorite, it's  “agao”.  I bet 500 each round, they have this complex signal code they do with their hands. If you win, give your guy 10%.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Things may have changed since my last visit years ago to a cockfight arena (taking Danish friends who wanted to see one).  The bet takers are called "Cristo" as in "Jesus Christ."  I pretty sure the minimum amount today is P1,000 and can easily be P100,000 even in provincial arenas.  During the major events, the bets are in millions.  The money is in sports bags and winners never publicly counts what's inside because the honor system is absolute.  They or a bodyguard simply hands the bag to the winner or his bodyguard.  The ban is lifetime if you attempt to cheat.  If you lose in a regular arena, the system is to toss the money into the fighting area.  If you win, the Cristo finds you and money pass to you similar to the jeepney ride system.  I have no idea about the odds system and how the house takes their percentage, aside from the admission fee.  You will have to ask an aficionado to accompany you.

The ban is lip service to the international community and animal rights organizations.  Aggressive enforcement would result in political upheaval.  The occasional raids demonstrate that local government is working on the problem.  

• Like 1

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys for all the info.  My wife is down there now and I just talked with her about it.  She is checking with her brothers (who will go there with us to see if minors are allowed).  Cockfighting is big on Bohol.  My wife's father who recently passed away was raising way over 100 fighters last I knew.  People came to him from all over PH, and even overseas to buy his cocks.  Much of the time it was a wealthy person wanting to get revenge for a loss.  I will try and just follow my BIL's lead on betting.   I mean, even if I'm clueless and bet randomly for a few fights I'd have to have very bad luck to lose a lot.  I'll be there for fun, so I will be a good sport about anything that happens.  Hopefully I can get a few photos if they allow it. 

- Joe Norton

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, JoeLansing said:

My wife's father who recently passed away was raising way over 100 fighters last I knew.

I met a distant relative at Honolulu airport during his flight layover.  He was on his way to Manila carrying something wrapped in a large towel.  Inside the carton container were 12 eggs from a Texas breeder.  He had paid $50 per egg for Texas chicken.  The roosters will be for fighting.  The hens for breeding.  I understand it is also a popular sport in Indonesia among the wealthy.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I went many years ago with my bro-in-law to the cockpit here in Moalboal.  The betting here is done with hands and yelling.  The handlers of the birds are standing on each side of ring, one side is labeled as black, one side as white.   Bettors will stand and yell the color and hold up their betting hand while looking for someone else to take the bet.  One or more fingers pointing up represents 100 peso bet per finger, fingers pointing sideways are 1000 peso each, fingers pointing down are 10,000 peso each.  Betting is done with the right hand while the left hand swings back and forth looking for someone to match the bet and the opposing color.  When two bettors see other and nod their heads to agree, the bet is done.  I am much in agreement with @OnMyWay, I would not go to the cockpit alone, nor would I ever take children.   A unique experience and I did get some great pictures and video, but again I was with my bro-in-law who is widely respected.    If you go with someone have them do your betting.  DO NOT DO ANY BETTING if you choose to go alone or without trusted protection.  

• Like 3

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

In 1996 we stoped by a cock fight to talk to a friend of my wife. My wife was at a table talking to her friend and I was standing by the crowd. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone pull a gun and shoot a man in the head. He ran out and tried to steal a motorcycle and the person would not give it to him so he got shot also. Be careful cock fighting is not a family thing.

• Sad 3