Subic Vs Clark

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 8/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, OnMyWay said:

Finally home but I have no idea where I saved the list, so I will wing it for now.  First, I will assume, based on what you said, that you are retired with no school age children?  Does your 20 year old live with you and want to attend college?

College:  Subic is lacking in the college area.  Angeles is better but other cities like Baguio and Manila metro are far better.

Quiet Neighborhoods:  The main reason I moved to Subic and live in the old Navy neighborhoods.  There is Kalayaan, Binictican and Cubi.  Peaceful and without the common Filipino nuisances.  You have to move to a very expensive high end neighborhood in Angeles to find this.

Driving:  Driving is very easy in Subic Freeport.  Angeles traffic can be bad.  In the Clark Freeport, driving is good.

Weather:  Subic gets a bad monsoon some years.  Angeles gets less rain during the rainy season.  However, Subic Freeport housing areas are flood free, for the most part, because they are on the hills with drainage built by the U.S. Navy.  Typhoons go East to West over Luzon, and Subic is protected by the land mass.  Most typhoon damage is from water not wind, in low lying areas of Olongapo.  The past two weeks had monsoon rains here, pulled in by the tail of the typhoon up north.  There was quite a bit of flooding in Olongapo.

Shopping:  We love our Royal Duty Free in Subic because of the Western products and local product.  However, Subic is small townish and after a while the choices for restos, etc., seem limited.  Angeles has a far better range of restos.

The main reason we were considering moving to Angeles is because of better school options for our young kids, and more college options for our 19 year old.

Feel free to hit me with specific questions.

hahaha wow, I didnt expect to read, "considering moving to Angeles" at the end of that.   Reading your assessment, I was convinced you preferred Subic hands down (not to minimize the importance of a good education at all).   Do you know what the approximate rents are in each location (2 or 3 bedroom, decent neighborhood).  Any issues with brownouts?   The last couple times I past thru Angeles traffic was an issue, however, it is a big area, and I have to imagine there are areas to live that can avoid much traffic??   I appreciate your replies!!!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jjcabgou said:

Do you know what the approximate rents are in each location (2 or 3 bedroom, decent neighborhood).

@Gator might be able to help with that for Angeles.  We were looking to buy and the upscale subdivisions we were looking at are way overpriced, IMHO.  I think rents, on average, are lower in Angeles.  "On the base", as we say in Subic / Olongapo, rents are 50k and up.  You can rent in Olongapo for a lot less, but that is a different lifestyle.

1 hour ago, jjcabgou said:

however, it is a big area, and I have to imagine there are areas to live that can avoid much traffic??

My experience in Angeles is that all the main roads are very crowded at peak hours and moderately crowded at off hours during the day.  Whereas in Subic Freeport the rush hour is mild and other times, almost no traffic.  Keep in mind that Subic / Olongapo is only 300k residents, and Angeles is millions.