Subic Vs Clark

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

First of all, sorry for my extended lapse of participation!    The entire website has changed since I last visited, and quickly trying to find questions I have that may have already been posted, have not been successful.

I am strongly contemplating moving to Clark or Subic and would love to hear any pros and cons about either (comparisons or not).   I have picked up golf and going to the Subic area would make that a little more difficult, but not a deal breaker by any stretch.    Thanks in advance, and I hope you are all doing well!!!!!!!!!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, jjcabgou said:

First of all, sorry for my extended lapse of participation!

Welcome back.  I can't help with your Clark/Subic question but I can say its nice to have old members returning.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome back we have members in that area that will provide up to date details for ya.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Wasn't @OnMyWaycontemplating a move from Subic to Angeles at one point.  I get the impression he has extensive experience with both.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jjcabgou said:

First of all, sorry for my extended lapse of participation!    The entire website has changed since I last visited, and quickly trying to find questions I have that may have already been posted, have not been successful.

I am strongly contemplating moving to Clark or Subic and would love to hear any pros and cons about either (comparisons or not).   I have picked up golf and going to the Subic area would make that a little more difficult, but not a deal breaker by any stretch.    Thanks in advance, and I hope you are all doing well!!!!!!!!!

I live in Balibago now and before that I was near Korea Town. I don’t golf but I’ve been told there are several decent to good golf courses in the area. Although I’ve been to the Subic area several times, I won’t try to draw any comparisons as I’m not really that familiar with nitty gritty of that area.  

I’m not sure what you’re specifically looking for, but apartment and condo rentals here can be found from 5k (live like a local) and up. Most of the nicer one and two bedroom apartments are in the 15-25k and up range. Condos tend to be a bit pricier. 

Pros: Plenty of restaurants and of course the bars on and near walking street (not my thing, but I’m familiar with the area). Also have two fairly large malls - SM and Marque (Metro) plus both S&R and a newly opened Landers. For domestic and limited international flights you have the airport close by. For me it’s about 10-15 minute drive away.  Manila isn’t too far, a day trip for shopping is realistic. Easy to get affordable transport to n from NAIA. Reliable and fast internet plus fairly reliable electric (as of now no scheduled brown outs; the only time I’ve lost power has been during heavy thunder storms and it was usually restored within an hour). 

Cons: Air and noise pollution can be bad at times, especially if you’re close to the airport. Traffic, especially during peak rush hour times, can also be bad, but not even close to how bad it can be in Manila. Unlike being closer to the beach or in the mountains, you don’t really get consistent breezes so you’ll likely use your aircon more often (caveat: perhaps on an upper floor of a condo that might not be the case).

If you have any other specific questions I’ll be glad to answer them as best as I can. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Wasn't @OnMyWaycontemplating a move from Subic to Angeles at one point.  I get the impression he has extensive experience with both.

Yes, in fact, I have a pro and con list at home.  I'll contribute when I get some time.  We are in Genting Highlands, Malaysia, enjoying Korean food being served by a cute Filipina from Panganisinan.  Super foggy here.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I surveyed both locations as part of my retirement planning.  Subic was a better choice for me because it feels more secured.  Being more isolated helps even if Clark has more facilities and easier access to Metro Manila and international destinations through its airport.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much for all your replies and "OnMyWay" I would love to see your Pros and Cons list.  I suspect it would be very beneficial.  BTW, I have lived here for about 11 years my 30 year old son is half filipino, so I am quite familiar with both the Philippines and the culture.   Having said that, I am obviously not very familiar with Subic and Clark, although I have been to both places.   I love a good beer, but my bar scene days are long gone, so that really is not an interest or factor to me for picking a place to live.   Internet, decent standard of living, decent neighbors etc. are things I am looking for.... all the same things most of you would want I guess. 

• Like 2

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted

Why Clark or Subic?   Philippines is a big place,  lots of locations.  What draws you to those locations?

Is any city of that size ok?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2023 at 11:01 AM, jjcabgou said:

Thanks very much for all your replies and "OnMyWay" I would love to see your Pros and Cons list.  I suspect it would be very beneficial.  BTW, I have lived here for about 11 years my 30 year old son is half filipino, so I am quite familiar with both the Philippines and the culture.   Having said that, I am obviously not very familiar with Subic and Clark, although I have been to both places.   I love a good beer, but my bar scene days are long gone, so that really is not an interest or factor to me for picking a place to live.   Internet, decent standard of living, decent neighbors etc. are things I am looking for.... all the same things most of you would want I guess. 

Finally home but I have no idea where I saved the list, so I will wing it for now.  First, I will assume, based on what you said, that you are retired with no school age children?  Does your 20 year old live with you and want to attend college?

College:  Subic is lacking in the college area.  Angeles is better but other cities like Baguio and Manila metro are far better.

Quiet Neighborhoods:  The main reason I moved to Subic and live in the old Navy neighborhoods.  There is Kalayaan, Binictican and Cubi.  Peaceful and without the common Filipino nuisances.  You have to move to a very expensive high end neighborhood in Angeles to find this.

Driving:  Driving is very easy in Subic Freeport.  Angeles traffic can be bad.  In the Clark Freeport, driving is good.

Weather:  Subic gets a bad monsoon some years.  Angeles gets less rain during the rainy season.  However, Subic Freeport housing areas are flood free, for the most part, because they are on the hills with drainage built by the U.S. Navy.  Typhoons go East to West over Luzon, and Subic is protected by the land mass.  Most typhoon damage is from water not wind, in low lying areas of Olongapo.  The past two weeks had monsoon rains here, pulled in by the tail of the typhoon up north.  There was quite a bit of flooding in Olongapo.

Shopping:  We love our Royal Duty Free in Subic because of the Western products and local product.  However, Subic is small townish and after a while the choices for restos, etc., seem limited.  Angeles has a far better range of restos.

The main reason we were considering moving to Angeles is because of better school options for our young kids, and more college options for our 19 year old.

Feel free to hit me with specific questions.

• Like 3