Living in Ozamiz - Information please

Luca
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

I have been living in Quezon City for 6 months but am moving to Ozamiz this month with my Filipino GF we will be living in the St. Stephanie area.

I would really appreciate any information anyone has on the area, the people, places to see, best places for groceries, best cafe, restaurants etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Luca. Pleased to have you join us here. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Luca
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the Welcome Old55

Luca
Posted
Posted

Additionally can anyone let me know what the process is for being able to legally ride a Motorcycle here in the Phiippines - I have a Full UK Drivers Licence

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Luca said:

Additionally can anyone let me know what the process is for being able to legally ride a Motorcycle here in the Phiippines - I have a Full UK Drivers Licence

A UK license with motor cycle endorsement is good for 90 days in Philippines. 

Here is a YouTube that goes through the process. The LTO online has all the BS you will be required to endure. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't live in Ozamis, we have a place in CDO but I've visited there for extended periods of time on multiple occasions because SWMBO's family is from there.

If you move there be prepared for a very 'provincial' experience and more than the occasional 'foreigner tax'.

There aren't many foreigners, there aren't modern large malls although there is an older Gaisano and also Geegee mall (which has a dated 2 theatre cinema showing a limited number of new release movies) and outside of the city center internet is mostly restricted to Globe at Home wifi (which tends to be slow and has limited data caps). 

The local private hospital is pretty basic, anything urgent and they'll probably put you in an ambulance and send you to Illigan city (which will take at least 2 hours travel time plus however long it takes to arrange the ambulance).  You can get regular check up type services and doctors can arrange many tests but you'll have to wait for that often.  As for the public hospital?  Forget about it is my advice.

I have had a couple of occasions where local check points have taken action that was a bit difficult to deal with (keeping things diplomatic).  One time we were stopped (in the Wigo) and we were told the car would be impounded because the papers weren't correct and complete (they were, cousin at the LTO in CDO verified that) and 2000 peso fine needed to be paid.  We asked for the ticket and ended up waiting and waiting and waiting, finally they came back and asked again so we gave them the pesos and got let through.  An ate spoke to her sister who was a police sergent (but not for the group manning the check point) and she got 1000 peso back and said we shouldn't have any further problems (it's more fun in the Philippines).

Another time I was riding my motorbike (well inside the 90 day allowed period) and got stopped at a check point (after being checked at another check point on the other side of the city without problems) and was told by the 2 stripe police man that my Aussie licence was 'invalid, not allowed' 1500 peso fine!  Despite being shown the LTO web site saying 90 days was allowed he refused to talk further.  After SWMBO papa talked to another police man they came back with an offer for a 200 peso fine for not wearing slippers (which I was).  This wasn't an attempt to 'get pesos' just an officer who didn't err... want to admit he didn't know that rule.  We paid the 200 peso fine at city hall next day.

I could give you other examples but my point is you should expect these sorts of problems if you intend to drive or ride around yourself, problems like this will be reduced if a local is driving and pretty much elimited if a middle age or older male is driving (in my experience).  Never had those sorts or issues in CDO.

But it's not all bad, prices tend to be a fair bit cheaper than in the big city for food and some of the province areas nearby to the city are very pretty.

Just be aware, you're a foreigner and this isn't Manila or Cebu (or even Davoa/CDO) so expect some... challenges.

My preference is just to visit but YMMV.

*edit* did you mean St Stephanie estates outside of the city proper?

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Luca
Posted
Posted

Yes it is St Stephanie estates just outside of the City centre, about 8 min ride into more central area where Robinsons Supermarket is based

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh while I think of it... no taxis in Ozamis.  Public transport consists of the ferry service across the bay to Mukas Port (you can drive around the bay but it adds at least 2 hours often more) which takes you to the highway that goes to Illigan city and onwards to Cagayan De Oro. There are air-con buses (and more basic ones) that take this route.  

There are others that head north towards Dapitan city where you  can get a ferry to Dumaguete or to Oslob (where the whale sharks are) at which point you can catch an air-con bus to Cebu city.   

Nb some of these ferries are very basic so be prepared for a bit of culture shock.

There are also buses to Davao but not personally familiar with that service.

In the center of Ozamis there are a LOT of pedal tricycles which the locals use (I avoid using those) and a lot of motor cycle tricycles (which I use occasionally around the city).

The airport in Ozamis has 2 or 3 services each day to Manila depending upon the day of the week provided by PAL and CebuPacific, the terminal is pretty basic but does the job.  There are always lots of motor tricycles there available for hire but if possible I'd suggest getting picked up by car as a lot of the tricycle drivers are relucant to go outside of the city proper (licensing restrictions maybe?).  There are also a limited number of services from Ozamis to Mactan-Cebu ( a couple of days a week ).  Not aware of any other routes serviced from Labo airport...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Luca said:

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

A UK license with motor cycle endorsement is good for 90 days in Philippines. 

Here is a YouTube that goes through the process. The LTO online has all the BS you will be required to endure. 

Just to clarify, the 90 day time frame is from your last date of arrival in the Philippines. 

I converted my USA DL a few months ago in Angeles City. Used a fixer for 1k and was done in a few hours. You’ll need the medical exam (is really a joke). Make sure you wear long pants when you go the LTO office (was a requirement at the office I went to, but YMMV). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

Just to clarify, the 90 day time frame is from your last date of arrival in the Philippines. 

I converted my USA DL a few months ago in Angeles City. Used a fixer for 1k and was done in a few hours. You’ll need the medical exam (is really a joke). Make sure you wear long pants when you go the LTO office (was a requirement at the office I went to, but YMMV). 

I did my conversion in Iloilo, but as my UK licence had expired had to do the theory and practical tests (practical I was given a free pass) and the medical.  Went in at 9am and was done by before lunchtime with (paper) licence in hand.  Cost was around 600php or so plus 550php for medical.  

• Like 2